Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best bumper finish

Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on it is that the finish is going to get trashed no matter what it is. For that reason, I'm of the opinion the easiest to maintain is probably a textured black power coat finish. If it comes to it you can even 'fix' rust with por15 and some rustoleum textured black in a spray can but I try not to let it get to that point if I can help it. I think AEV sells cans as well but close is good enough for me knowing I won't be able to tell weeks after anyway.

There's also metal etching primer in spay cans and never did any prep other then that. That was on a flat surface though.

A pro comes in hady if your ordering bare metal.

Don't know if you can roll over but people spray over so I don't see why not. Mostly rolling is mentioned when pulling carpet or doing a grill.

I had linex extra sprayed right over some powder coated tube and it held up ok.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front bumper.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	238525  

Last edited by jezzalachis; 10-10-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the Mopar Rock Krawler front and rear bumpers on mine for a year now and the powder coat finiish is still going strong.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanium Dad
I've had the Mopar Rock Krawler front and rear bumpers on mine for a year now and the powder coat finiish is still going strong.
That's probably because Chrysler follows stricter corrosion guidelines as an automotive manufacturer. Glad their bumpers hold up because some of their other parts have rust issues
Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kstrhypes
First post.
This may have been covered but I coulnd't find anyting by searching I'm looking to put aftermarket bumpers on my '11 Spoort and I was wondering what manufactures provided the most durable finish. I read bad things about Olympic and Warn. Any thoughts?
I say whatever bumper you want, get it. Then have it sprayed in bedliner. I used speedliner. Very impressive stuff!

Quick Reply: best bumper finish