Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best brake upgrade

Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best brake upgrade

Looking for options for the best brake upgrade without replacing the master cylinder on my 2016 JKU Rubicon?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

You should at least consider the Crown BBK that comes with 13" rotors and dual-piston calipers. I bought that set on eBay directly from them for $350 at the time, and you can't beat that price. Direct bolt on. NOW.....most will say that you have to use a larger MC with that. I will tell you that on my '13, I think it works fine with the factory MC. Opinions will vary on this. You can take this with a grain of salt, but even TF says the '12+ MC's were fine to use with their BBK, but that the '07-'11 MC's really needed to be replaced with their bigger bore MC. Again, replacing the MC is going to be a matter or preference and feel. I think the Crown BBK with my factory MC has been fine thus far for me.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
You should at least consider the Crown BBK that comes with 13" rotors and dual-piston calipers. I bought that set on eBay directly from them for $350 at the time, and you can't beat that price. Direct bolt on. NOW.....most will say that you have to use a larger MC with that. I will tell you that on my '13, I think it works fine with the factory MC. Opinions will vary on this. You can take this with a grain of salt, but even TF says the '12+ MC's were fine to use with their BBK, but that the '07-'11 MC's really needed to be replaced with their bigger bore MC. Again, replacing the MC is going to be a matter or preference and feel. I think the Crown BBK with my factory MC has been fine thus far for me.
Can you share a link for the brakes on eBay ? Thanks !!!

Old 02-02-2020, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not the best upgrade option but I used the Teraflex big rotor kit on my 08. No change of brake booster or master cylinder but it definitely helped the braking. Combined with Hawk brake pads it stops my Jeep on 35's well enough for me.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by john12v
I thought I bought it directly from Crown (RT Offroad), but it appears it was a different seller on eBay. I bought this in August. I cheapest I currently see it is $453, but I have seen it cheaper in the past. Maybe just keep an eye out. Maybe I just caught a screaming deal. Seemed too good to pass up.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Interesting, RT off-road makes a lotkit for the rear as well, though it isn't labeled as "big brake" but they do tout it as having more bite.

Russ- do you recall the friction coefficient letters on those pads? @Mr. T did some research into pads and sparked interest into looking at the letters to determine which pad will have good bite.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Russ- do you recall the friction coefficient letters on those pads? @Mr. T did some research into pads and sparked interest into looking at the letters to determine which pad will have good bite.
I recall seeing that thread long ago. I like reading those threads but putting so much thought in to a decsion like that boggles my mind so I usually don't pay that close of attention upon install. I'm sure I will be taking these hubs off again here soon....in fact I know I will be and I'd be happy to look at one of the pads and report back. Can you link that thread? I think I recall the data being on the back of the pad. Pretty sure these are just factory Ram 1500 pads. Looking around at that kit, I can't believe I scooped it for $350. Appears that was a decent deal.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Found his post, here! I have too many brakes I want to try and they just don't wear out fast enough.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Karl - I had my hub disassembled today to change bearings. I popped out one of the pads, but didn't see the data stamped on the one I popped out. Those pads are in there a lot more secure than the typical JK pads are, and I was too lazy to remove the caliper from the bracket itself to get the other pad out to look at it after jacking with the Spyntec hub. I am almost positive those are just factory, or in this case the Crown version, of the Ram 1500 pads....ie, nothing super special.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by john12v

Crown Automotive RT31046 RT Off-Road Big Brake Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754C7GY9..._wSmvEbBCYWR7E

Quick Reply: Best brake upgrade