Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best brake pads?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tycho
HPS are their high performance pads but need to be hot to work best. Recommend the light truck pads for rear of JK and ceramic pads on front
The Hawk LTS pads are not ceramic? What pads do you have for the front?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I swapped out the stock pads for Hawks about 2.5 yrs ago. I'm not quite sure which I chose but I'm very happy with them. Excellent stopping power, noise free and minimal dust
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster

The Hawk LTS pads are not ceramic? What pads do you have for the front?
Hawk do a specific ceramic pad for the JK front fitment only sadly. Come in a yellow box and only about $2 more than LTS. Part number #56214.0303 from Qtec

Last edited by Tycho; 04-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

I've found out the hard way, there is no lifetime warranty on rotors at Autozone. Furthermore, be VERY CAREFUL and HANG ONTO EVERY RECEIPT. I bought a full set of pads and rotors in 09 and had to replace the front ones with rotors in 13. The store kept the original receipt and now, the ONLY record they have is a purchase for 1 rotor on the original date and the replacement pads and rotors in 13 which they claim is a first purchase, not a warranty replacement. Tried calling two different stores, corporate and the district manager and have gotten no where. This is also NOT the first time Autozone has pulled this crap. My dad went through no less than FIVE alternators before he finally left Autozone and has not returned.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

I have hawk LTS on my jk with 37's and it stops pretty well. When i was on 33's, the pads with stock rotors would lock up the tires. However, they squeal like mad now that they are at 50% wear. I might be an odd case, but i regreased everything, turned the rotors, scuffed up the pads, and they're still squealing. I have not contacted hawk to see if they have any suggestions yet.
*edit: I just shot them an email. I'll report if this issue gets resolved.

Last edited by JKTrev; 10-26-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Never buy lifetime warranty pads. They destroy the rotors, as they are very hard. Probably the reason they make them. The sooner they sell you rotors, the sooner they make more money off you...
Good tip, I never took that into consideration and now that you mention it, I bought a set of rear Autozone life-time pads, got a set of replacements under the warranty but sure as sh*t, I had to replace the rotors in the rear at that time. Then purchased EB pads and threw the new warranty pads in the parts bin. Got lazy after the EB pads wore out, and just threw the life-time replacement pads on the rear this last time.

I put Power Stop Z36 pads on in the front this past spring, where I really like those pads, especially for the price. Sounds like I should put some matching Power Stop Z36 pads in the rear, sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-29-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads?