Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best of both worlds?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by revolucion!
you speed demons should ride motorcycles for your shits n' giggles speed fixes. jeeps aren't porche's and not made for high speed cornering or drag strips. be careful dudes. aerodynamics and stability are your foes at those speeds in a jeep!
X2, If your going that fast, get a freakin Porche,. I'd rtather have a jeep that could crawl over anything at 2mph.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my jeeps limits like I can walk, i pushed this car at the izmit gulf track... (believe it or not....) last week and I will have pics up, drifting the jeep through turns.... its not the jeep or porsche that counts and I know limits of this jeep and its above what you guys seem to think it is it has plenty of body roll yes but its handling is predictable so I know what to do and not do and at 100 mph Ill be getting brake upgrades to help with that. (AKA Stoptech)

and because you got radar guns all over there in usa and cops on your butts dont get jealous when I can speed the hell outta my jeep and do it legally so :-P

Last edited by RubiconEurope; 07-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Video, dude video, I gotta see this. Not that I don't believe it, just wanna see it.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Video, dude video, I gotta see this. Not that I don't believe it, just wanna see it.
video of the jk doing 160 kph? I saw 180...(120 i think?) I got pictures of the gps device on the windshield showing max speed as 175 kph but thats it i cant hold the phone and drive at same time
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BryGuy
In Ontario, Canada they introduced a new racing law. I don't know the exact details, but I believe at 50km over the speed limit (hwy speed limit is 100km), it's an automatic loss of license and a court date with fines up to 10k. Oh, and when they state "racing", I don't think you even have to be racing anyone; simply being 50km over is enough.

.... and that's not even including the cell phone
pigs can get you for anything...you can go the speed limit but if you accelerated to the speed limit faster than the bacon(who thinks hes god) would like. thank god my father is close to prime minister...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Let me start out by saying that I too live in a country with no speed limit and in an area known for its turns and hills. People come here just to drive them. Specifically Germany in the Eifel very near to the Nurburgring. Now, my Jeep is lifted and has big tires. Clayton lift with 37s. The turns and hills are fun, at 1 mph. Even when it was just a stock Rubicon, the thing rolled and swayed so much that I had to slow way down on the back roads. As far as on the Autobahn, the speeds of 160 and 190 kmh (posted later) is hard to believe. Thats 99 and 118 mph respectively. Yes, the JK can hit 100+ mph in stock form, this I know, but that takes a really long straight flat stretch of road, and the Jeep is shaking like crazy and the hood looks like it is about to blow off. I can understand a short burst of 100 mph on the Autobahn, but for sustained high speed driving, you bought the WRONG vehicle.

As far as lifting it goes, I don't care how tight of a suspension you put on it, your center of gravity is going up which means you will flip at lower speeds then a stock vehicle. I know the Autobahn doesn't have twistys just long sweepers, so this is more in reference to spirited driving on the back roads. A tight suspension is designed to keep the tires on the road, or put them back there faster should the tire go in the air. It is meant for traction, i.e. putting as much tire as possible on the road to keep the car from sliding or reducing wheel spin. A lowered suspension is part of what allows you to increase your turning speed because the center of gravity goes down. Yes the stiffness has something to to with it as well, so perhaps I should say it is more of a combination of lower COG and spring rate with dampening and rebound all dialed in for a particular vehicle sprung weight for certain road conditions.

Also, if you are looking at bigger tires, chances are you are talking about MTs not something with a mild street profile or even a AT. Check out the speed ratings on these tires. Most of the MTs are rated at about 140, the ATs perhaps a bit higher, and yes, there are street tires that are bigger with a higher speed rating, but why would you put that on a Jeep? There is a reason for the speed rating, the tire will begin to destroy itself over these speeds. No you probably won't see the damage until it is too late. The compounds in the tire will begin to separate on the inside where you can't inspect it, and one day the tire will just rip apart. If not for your own safety (I am against helmet laws but would wear one anyway) please for the safety of others don't exceed the speed rating. I don't want to be the one getting passed by you on the Autobahn as your tire falls apart and you lose control careening into the car next to you at 190 kmh.

If speed is in your blood, fine, but do it in a car designed for it. I don't care how good of a driver you are or you say you are and how you can know the limits of the car. Having driven all sorts of cars since I was able to reach the pedals, from race to rally to off road, to truck, I agree, you have to know the limits of your vehicle and be able to drive at them. But most importantly, you have to be able to understand the feedback that the car is giving you, and at these speeds the Jeep is saying to you "Hey, I'm a Jeep, I don't need to compete with the M3 or even the G-Wagon on the street because I know when we hit the trails, I will win. Slow down. Take the top off. Look at the scenery and see if you can find a winding trail through the woods. Enjoy the ride."

As for me, you will know it is me when you see the lifted Jeep with the line of honking cars behind it, because I am in no hurry to get anywhere fast, because I am in a Jeep, with the top down, enjoying the ride.

Okay, someone else can have the soap box now. I'm done with it.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

IMHO, it is not a car, it's a Jeep. You should not be doing "twisties" and reaching 100MPH at any time in a Wrangler, stock or not. If you want to go fast and do twisties, get another vehicle to suit those needs and keep the JK for the excursions.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
Let me start out by saying that I too live in a country with no speed limit and in an area known for its turns and hills. People come here just to drive them. Specifically Germany in the Eifel very near to the Nurburgring. Now, my Jeep is lifted and has big tires. Clayton lift with 37s. The turns and hills are fun, at 1 mph. Even when it was just a stock Rubicon, the thing rolled and swayed so much that I had to slow way down on the back roads. As far as on the Autobahn, the speeds of 160 and 190 kmh (posted later) is hard to believe. Thats 99 and 118 mph respectively. Yes, the JK can hit 100+ mph in stock form, this I know, but that takes a really long straight flat stretch of road, and the Jeep is shaking like crazy and the hood looks like it is about to blow off. I can understand a short burst of 100 mph on the Autobahn, but for sustained high speed driving, you bought the WRONG vehicle.

As far as lifting it goes, I don't care how tight of a suspension you put on it, your center of gravity is going up which means you will flip at lower speeds then a stock vehicle. I know the Autobahn doesn't have twistys just long sweepers, so this is more in reference to spirited driving on the back roads. A tight suspension is designed to keep the tires on the road, or put them back there faster should the tire go in the air. It is meant for traction, i.e. putting as much tire as possible on the road to keep the car from sliding or reducing wheel spin. A lowered suspension is part of what allows you to increase your turning speed because the center of gravity goes down. Yes the stiffness has something to to with it as well, so perhaps I should say it is more of a combination of lower COG and spring rate with dampening and rebound all dialed in for a particular vehicle sprung weight for certain road conditions.

Also, if you are looking at bigger tires, chances are you are talking about MTs not something with a mild street profile or even a AT. Check out the speed ratings on these tires. Most of the MTs are rated at about 140, the ATs perhaps a bit higher, and yes, there are street tires that are bigger with a higher speed rating, but why would you put that on a Jeep? There is a reason for the speed rating, the tire will begin to destroy itself over these speeds. No you probably won't see the damage until it is too late. The compounds in the tire will begin to separate on the inside where you can't inspect it, and one day the tire will just rip apart. If not for your own safety (I am against helmet laws but would wear one anyway) please for the safety of others don't exceed the speed rating. I don't want to be the one getting passed by you on the Autobahn as your tire falls apart and you lose control careening into the car next to you at 190 kmh.

If speed is in your blood, fine, but do it in a car designed for it. I don't care how good of a driver you are or you say you are and how you can know the limits of the car. Having driven all sorts of cars since I was able to reach the pedals, from race to rally to off road, to truck, I agree, you have to know the limits of your vehicle and be able to drive at them. But most importantly, you have to be able to understand the feedback that the car is giving you, and at these speeds the Jeep is saying to you "Hey, I'm a Jeep, I don't need to compete with the M3 or even the G-Wagon on the street because I know when we hit the trails, I will win. Slow down. Take the top off. Look at the scenery and see if you can find a winding trail through the woods. Enjoy the ride."

As for me, you will know it is me when you see the lifted Jeep with the line of honking cars behind it, because I am in no hurry to get anywhere fast, because I am in a Jeep, with the top down, enjoying the ride.

Thanks...the JK is really expensive over here, And your speec made me consider perhaps selling it and ahving a CJ5 and a STI for different enjoyment...
Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red

RED, this is one of the most intelligent replies i have read on this board so far. well put.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

But I said the same thing in 2 sentences right above. Why don't I get an applause?!?!? Just kidding, good speech Red.

Quick Reply: Best of both worlds?