Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Bikini Top for an Unlimited?????

Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bikini Top for an Unlimited?????

Need some recommendations on a Bikini Top for my 2011. Any opinions are appreciated. Concerned with the rear flapping at highway speeds,
Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

I almost forgot, do Bikini's require door surrounds?? I only have a hard top..
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tons of options out there but we are running a Spiderweb Shade which is a mesh shade so it lets air in while filtering the sun. It doesn't flap at highway speeds and works with our TrekTop and should work with a soft or hardtop as well without removing it. And on top of everything else it's American made and cost less than some of the others out there. Good luck with your selection.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

I have a besttop bikini, and it doesnt flap very much anymore... when i first got it i didnt know how to tighten it down very well, so it flapped a bit. Even with it tight I can see it moving at highway speeds, but can't hear it at all w/ the doors off.

You only need door surrounds if you want to run it with the doors on and have it water proof at the doors.

Main advantage to a bikini (aka safari) top is that if you run into an unexpected shower, it does seal with the windsheild so water wont come in as bad as a spiderweb type shade.... especially at speed.

I've run mine all summer btw, and all in all, I am VERY happy with mine and would buy it again in an instant.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I have a besttop bikini, and it doesnt flap very much anymore... when i first got it i didnt know how to tighten it down very well, so it flapped a bit. Even with it tight I can see it moving at highway speeds, but can't hear it at all w/ the doors off.

You only need door surrounds if you want to run it with the doors on and have it water proof at the doors.

Main advantage to a bikini (aka safari) top is that if you run into an unexpected shower, it does seal with the windsheild so water wont come in as bad as a spiderweb type shade.... especially at speed.

I've run mine all summer btw, and all in all, I am VERY happy with mine and would buy it again in an instant.
Two thumbs up on the Bestop. No flapping at 80 down the freeway and is pretty heavy duty.

At night I cover up with the Bestop Trail Cover which essentially goes from the windshield down the side of the front door and then slopes down the back roll bars. Fits real snug even with the doors off and hold up really nice in the rain. The first 10 times or so the cover is pretty stiff to put on, but once its broken in installation / removal is really quick and easy.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

So.... Looked up best top bikini on YouTube.....lol...wow not even what I was thinking if but damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skEi2...e_gdata_player
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

i have a best top bikini, when i first ran it i tightened it all the way down, flapped like a mo fo all the way to work,(112 miles) the velcro is just not positioned good to get a tight fit. as soon as air blows the top, the velcro rolls around the roll bar and your top is now ballooned up and flapping. so i bought a set of used door surrounds and hooked the top into it and now, no probs. minor flap but no ballooning. and best of all, i can throw my doors on any time and seal most of it up for rainy or cold time. by the way, i have a 2011 jku, door surrounds must be pre 2010. and my bikini top is from 2008, so i don't know if they fixed the velcro issue since then.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I''l try the Bestop
Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mopar sunbonnet is awesome. Great fit and finish. Only thing I disliked about any bikini for the JK was the fact that it needs a header. I would want one that attached with bungie cords like the spyder web shades but only solid rather than mesh.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a Besttop Safari Mesh top and hated the thing...didn't flap but it wasn't fun putting the thing on and had to take it off to put the TrekTop or Hardtop back on...that's why the Spiderwed shade and Dirty Dog shades work better IMHO because they are always on...hated having to take the header bar out of the Besttop Trektop and install it in the safari mesh top what a PITA!

Quick Reply: Best Bikini Top for an Unlimited?????