Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Bang for your Buck?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wont buy more than the superchips for my 3.8L. I'd buy a set of underdrive pulleys if someone made them. Other than that, I think a muffler and air filter are spitting in the wind for "performance". 3.8L just isn't easily tweaked for power. I learned this on my 3.0L V6 Ranger, the tuner and pulleys were the only things worth the money. Anything else was too much money for the couple horsepower you got.

Tuner
Regear
Accept the fact it won't have much more speed regardless

Just another opinion..
Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take exception to anyone that states that CAI and mufflers (cat back systems) don't effect performance...these are blanket statements made by "flat landers". There is a difference when you are altitude (Boyle's Law?). I have added both to my JK and can actually stay in 5th gear going up the mountains now. Before, I was dropping into 4th to hold 50 miles an hour. This was after regearing to 4.88's on 35" tires.

Being in Corona, the CAI probably won't help but I think the cat back would. MBRP is pretty reasonable priced.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Member

Default rerer

K & N high flow filter and throttle body spacer (around $100 by itself). I felt that the aforementioned combo gave me some punch, particularly at the lower rpm's.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

I don't get the throttle body spacer... I mean if it really helped that much why aren't throttle body's mounted like that from the factory?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I Just orded the Flashpaq today from Northridge (David) until I can get the Hemi from SLC in April.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I pull a fairly heavy pop up tent trailer and was having problems getting up long hills on the freeway. I added the airaid throttle body spacer and cold air intake and they helped out alot. Now I'm not going 30 mph up the hills, I've actually got enough to stay up with traffic
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by PmknJK
I'll take exception to anyone that states that CAI and mufflers (cat back systems) don't effect performance...these are blanket statements made by "flat landers". There is a difference when you are altitude (Boyle's Law?). I have added both to my JK and can actually stay in 5th gear going up the mountains now. Before, I was dropping into 4th to hold 50 miles an hour. This was after regearing to 4.88's on 35" tires.

Being in Corona, the CAI probably won't help but I think the cat back would. MBRP is pretty reasonable priced.
I'll agree......I noticed quite a difference just installing the CAI. Now I have the Superchips and even MORE performance. Next inline is the exhaust. From everything I've heard/read.........when you do all three it's like magic...!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Superchips has worked great for me... more on the butt dyno and the general feel of the engine

Haven't regeared yet, and don't really know if I will... I'm kinda happy with the rubi as it is after the superchips install

Quick Reply: Best Bang for your Buck?