Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best bang vs buck - 3 inch lift (I know...)

Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bang vs buck - 3 inch lift (I know...)

I'm sorry, I know there are probably 50 other similar threads, but I'm lost. I've talked to some site vendors/supporters, other shops, builders online - all have given me different answers. I figured I could put my intended use, desires on here and maybe I could get specific results, I've literally spent hours upon hours on here and other forums, just muddy's the waters even more. I picked up a 2014 Rubicon 4-door with what I think is RC lift, 20" wheels and 35's, it's hands down the worst riding vehicle I've ridden in. Feel like it has 1/2" suspension travel, it's extremely rough, nervous, horrible steering - I knew all this going in, and now I can't get that junk off of it quick enough!

Jeep will be driven on street 80% or so of the time, it will see some OHV parks in Texas, trails here in Oklahoma and will also see some use in Colorado. I'm not planning on taking it into rock "mine fields" but wife and I are planning a 8-10 day trip this summer in Colorado.

Wants: Something that has good/great on-road manners. I know this comes down to shock preference mainly, but I want something comfortable on the street.
Thinking 37" tires, likely an AT or very mild MT type tire
Want something bullet proof and complete
I want to do it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME - nothing more frustrating that buying same parts more than once!

I was strongly considering the Evo coil spring setup w/arms - Double D which is $3600 with the free Bilstiens from Northridge. However today a salesman from NR recommended Rock Krawler stuff ... which again just confused me more.

I started the coilovers worth the hype thread, the overwhelming response seemed to be under whelming thoughts on any of the bolt on kits. I'm wanting to get parts ordered asap, spent months researching and still absolutely lost - I apologize in advance for another one of these threads, but figured the flaming might be worth it if I can get some good info out of it!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

it sounds like whoever did the mod maybe didnt address the shocks... probably stock ones still on there. over extended.

my best advice would be to find a good local 4x4 shop that installs mods on pickups/jeeps/etc and have them take a good look see at what you got.
it might be something simple
Old 02-04-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Get the RK 3.5" flex system and Blisten 5100 shocks.. It's the lift i want myself... JKU 3.5 Flex System <<<<<link
Old 02-04-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crawldad
it sounds like whoever did the mod maybe didnt address the shocks... probably stock ones still on there. over extended.

my best advice would be to find a good local 4x4 shop that installs mods on pickups/jeeps/etc and have them take a good look see at what you got.
it might be something simple
I've got a lift in my garage, I'll get it up on there tomorrow and take a look. Bottom line, it's a cheap, inferior product on it, and will be replaced with something much more capable, just not sure which route to go yet
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott777
Get the RK 3.5" flex system and Blisten 5100 shocks.. It's the lift i want myself... JKU 3.5 Flex System <<<<<link
Looks like a good kit. I like the Trackball and the LCAS. Should have good street manners with this kit. Definitely a nicer kit than the RC 3.5" kit I have brake line extender brackets instead of SS braided lines and it also comes with a Track-bar instead of a DPA. It has nicer pieces I dunno if its worth almost 3x the RC kit. But it is nice. One other thing I noticed which could be good or bad. Depends on how you want to look at it is.. That kit comes with dual rate springs so its going to be a better ride on the street but bouncy on the trails. I like single rate springs.. I do have to say though Rough country is kinda rough riding but it does come with some ok shocks I'm getting 6+ inches of travel with them so I'm happy. Good luck with your search for a good kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	636652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3694-2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	636653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	636654  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-04-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-04-2016, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There's more to it than just the name on the side of the box. What happens after you drop a shit-ton of money on your new lift, it gets half-ass installed or not set up right, and rides the same as, or worse than, your current lift? You'll be right back here blaming whoever suggested the new lift?

Take a step back from the credit card and start educating yourself on the problems, the specific parts, and the install process. Figuring out why your current lift rides like crap might be a better learning process than indiscriminately replacing it with new parts. New parts that it doesn't sound like you actually know the function of?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

I've built a few other vehicles sourcing parts from SDHQ, they're selling Currie and Syngery, both have been recommended to me by builders (especially synergy)... I find it a bit odd I can't find much info on here about the Synergy kits, and doesn't seem like many people are using their stuff. Is it a price point issues?

Also should have stated, I'd like to spend $4k or less on this setup
Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randomhero199
I've built a few other vehicles sourcing parts from SDHQ, they're selling Currie and Syngery, both have been recommended to me by builders (especially synergy)... I find it a bit odd I can't find much info on here about the Synergy kits, and doesn't seem like many people are using their stuff. Is it a price point issues?

Also should have stated, I'd like to spend $4k or less on this setup
Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with your RC kit. Like stated above. How the kit is installed and what is in the kit has to do a lot how your Jeep will handle. I'm sorry just like anything in this world you get what you pay for. You wouldn't expect a KIA Optima to perform like a Porsche 911 ? So why would you expect a $300 kit to ride like a $3,000 Teraflex long arm kit. Honestly 20" wheels are part of the problem. Only reason you should run 20" Wheels is if your running 40's. A good rule of thumb is 50% of the tire diameter or smaller. (16x2=32) more sidewall means you can air down better. So a 35" tire on a 16" wheel is even better. Sounds like you have a great budget and your going to be able to put almost any kit you want. More lift means more stuff to replace like Driveshafts etc.... Sad part about Jeeps is if we were all millionaires we would drop $250k on our Jeeps and still want to keep building... Jeeps are an addiction and sometimes you have settle for less and build on it.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with your RC kit. Like stated above. How the kit is installed and what is in the kit has to do a lot how your Jeep will handle. I'm sorry just like anything in this world you get what you pay for. You wouldn't expect a KIA Optima to perform like a Porsche 911 ? So why would you expect a $300 kit to ride like a $3,000 Teraflex long arm kit. Honestly 20" wheels are part of the problem. Only reason you should run 20" Wheels is if your running 40's. A good rule of thumb is 50% of the tire diameter or smaller. (16x2=32) more sidewall means you can air down better. So a 35" tire on a 16" wheel is even better. Sounds like you have a great budget and your going to be able to put almost any kit you want. More lift means more stuff to replace like Driveshafts etc.... Sad part about Jeeps is if we were all millionaires we would drop $250k on our Jeeps and still want to keep building... Jeeps are an addiction and sometimes you have settle for less and build on it.
I completely agree when it comes to the wheel/tire combo, I'm sure it's part of the problem with both ride and especially the steering/nervousness of the ride. I shouldn't even mention a name, because I honestly don't know 100% it's RC brand. The previous owner told me "it's a cheap spring only lift so they could install the mall crawler 20/35's combo" Which is my point exactly, I don't think anything is installed incorrectly, because it's just springs, and shocks... the ride quality isn't there
Old 02-04-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There's more to it than just the name on the side of the box. What happens after you drop a shit-ton of money on your new lift, it gets half-ass installed or not set up right, and rides the same as, or worse than, your current lift? You'll be right back here blaming whoever suggested the new lift?

Take a step back from the credit card and start educating yourself on the problems, the specific parts, and the install process. Figuring out why your current lift rides like crap might be a better learning process than indiscriminately replacing it with new parts. New parts that it doesn't sound like you actually know the function of?
Again - it's not a true lift kit, it's a set of coils and different shocks, nothing else was added to compensate for the lift.. this came from the previous owner. I don't have $ burning a hole in my pocket, and would never expect a spring/shock setup like this to have a superior ride.. which is why I'm replacing it. I've been educating myself for months, I'm a pretty decent mechanic, have done fabrication work for 15 years, insinuating that I'm an idiot is cute.... To suggest I'll just buy another lift and have "half ass" install it because I don't understand the functions of a lift isn't exactly constructive to this thread, troll someone else's thread please

Quick Reply: Best bang vs buck - 3 inch lift (I know...)