Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best bang for the buck lift...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best bang for the buck lift...

in the 3-4" range (not interested in a spacer lift)

Every basic lift I look into suggests addition of control arms, or trackbars, or something else.

I'm just looking for a decent (read: inexpensive) lift where I won't have to spend a ton of money on "extras" yet still retain the ride quality since it is still my DD. Anybody have suggstions?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those extras are what will give you the better ride quality...
Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain Hook

I'm just looking for a decent (read: inexpensive) lift where I won't have to spend a ton of money on "extras" yet still retain the ride quality since it is still my DD. Anybody have suggstions?

you just described a spacer lift...too bad a 2.5 wouldn't do for ya. I hear the teraflex is great.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Rough Country 4" works good for me.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WV99XJ
Rough Country 4" works good for me.
I was looking at the RC 4"...did you add anything or just how it came out of the box?
How's the ride?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rusty's is great for me....

I got the 3.25" from rustys offroad. Came w/ shocks, springs, and adjustable track bars(both) for about $550. I also added a tera 1" spacer. With that set-up I got 4 1/2" front and 4" rear. I love it and have no complaints.....
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I like 3-4 vendors. Right now the Rubicon Express 3.5",FT 3" ultimate, Fabtech 3" and (Vendor x) but it's easier to state what you should have in the kit rather than pick a manufacturer since there are so many good quality maunfacturers. Avoid the kit's with the word economy and you are well on your way to finding a complete kit.

A good example:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16064_324X_PG.htm

I have to stay at 3" because of state laws but if i could go bigger I would.

Complete kit would include:

Adjust front and rear track bars
new links
Springs
Shocks
upper control arms
New brake lines
Bump stops

control arms and track bars will allow for complete dialing of the suspension as the axles will shift as you go higher and the castor angle will change.

About 2k for a true complete kit in the size your looking at. You need to get shocks to fully appreciate the new travel you will get so skip the Shock extensions.

I currently have a 2.5" BB and noticed I had axle shift and if I went a 1/2" higher I'd need to get adjust. track bars.

I also had a slight change in the angle of the caster and at 3" I would want the ability to adjust the upper control arms as the angle will change enough that it would be questionable.

I'd also recommend a steering stabilizer with a relocation bracket. As a DD it will have a better feel. This will start WW3 but it a personnal thing if you want to eliminate any feel issues. I do suggest adding this 3 months out so that you are sure everything is in alignment and good to go to not hide any issues with the alignment.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I'm also assuming you are driving a 4dr? If you are driving a 2 door your talking about driveline modifications as the angle will change on the driveshaft. Most shops are recommending this if you go to 3".

Also what do you define as Inexpensive. Some guy's but hemi's in and think it's worth it so is 2k the budget or 3 k. 2700 get's you just about everything you need at 4 inch unless you are thinking a long or short arm kit.

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 05-30-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigHugh54
I got the 3.25" from rustys offroad. Came w/ shocks, springs, and adjustable track bars(both) for about $550. I also added a tera 1" spacer. With that set-up I got 4 1/2" front and 4" rear. I love it and have no complaints.....
x 2 for me, I got the Rusty's 2" basic lift and it lifted the Jeep about 3" in the front and 2.5" in the back. I didn't get all the extras because it was only a 2" coil lift. Just shocks and springs.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to beat the Superlift 4" for the price. I think they're a little more expensive than when they 1st came out though.

I'd suggest adding a set of front upper and/or lower control arms rather than using the cam bolts. You can get by with one set, which will only be about $50 or so.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Hard to beat the Superlift 4" for the price. I think they're a little more expensive than when they 1st came out though.

I'd suggest adding a set of front upper and/or lower control arms rather than using the cam bolts. You can get by with one set, which will only be about $50 or so.
X2. I don't have one(other than my trackbars), but If I had it to do over again and wasn't going with a fully adjustable lift, I'd get the Superlift. I like the componets, it's well thought out, and best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck lift...