Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Aftermarket Driveshaft?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
how long are these aftermarket shafts warrantied for? i know they won't be covered if they'd bent over a huge rock or damaged, but how about from daily driving? anybody know?
The warranties will vary, so check the site for whoever you choose.

One note on Tom Woods. His joints are made overseas somewhere, which may be a negative selling point. But on the plus side, they carry a lifetime warranty, with the added benefit of the entire shaft being covered in the case of damage caused by a failed joint. (as opposed to them replacing a ujoint and you repairing the rest of the shaft). I haven't checked warranties on others, but do a little reading and see what you come up with.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So definitely change the yokes
I'll call a few vendors and check out the warranties on these shafts.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Woods

I installed a Tom Woods this past weekend. It comes with everything needed. Replacement front and rear input and output yokes.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would listen to David he knows the players and he sells Coast.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

It seems that everybody is saying tom woods. and also alot of coast shaft's. i'm gonna check with Teraflex's warranty on their driveshaft tomorrow, but tom wood's is only 180 days.

you guys have got me leaning tom woods now. I appreciate that. no disrespect to coast, but if i'm gonna get an aftermarket shaft it's gonna be worth it.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

coast has a 1 yr warranty.

Teraflex is not a Driveline MFG they have somebody make them for them Go with a actual MFG of drivelines.

David
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It seems that everybody is saying tom woods. and also alot of coast shaft's. i'm gonna check with Teraflex's warranty on their driveshaft tomorrow, but tom wood's is only 180 days.

you guys have got me leaning tom woods now. I appreciate that. no disrespect to coast, but if i'm gonna get an aftermarket shaft it's gonna be worth it.
I haven't seen a reason why JE Reel and TF shafts are so much more expensive than the others, but just based on price, Coast and Woods are the ones to look at.

And in case you missed the joint warranty:
“GOLD SEAL” Universal Joint
Long known for our high quality drive shafts, we are proud to announce the introduction of our name branded “GOLD SEAL” universal joint.

Most manufacturers offer a breakage guarantee of the universal joint. Break it and they will replace it free of charge. The problem is, usually the failure of the universal joint will damage the drive shaft and is not covered by their warranty. With Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts new “GOLD SEAL” universal joint, if the universal joint breaks, Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts will also **warranty** damage to the drive shaft (see warranty below)!
Didn't see any warranty info on coasts site for comparison.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

okay first choice is tom woods 1350, second choice is JE Reel 1310 HD, and then Teraflex. I'll find out today what i can get for availability. i wanted the JEep to be done with all it's leaks and whatnot for my roadtrip to NC next monday, so i'm kinda in a time crunch as well. how fast has everybody's shafts gotten to their door?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

okay first choice is tom woods 1350, second choice is JE Reel 1310 HD, and then Teraflex. I'll find out today what i can get for availability. i wanted the JEep to be done with all it's leaks and whatnot for my roadtrip to NC next monday, so i'm kinda in a time crunch as well. how fast has everybody's shafts gotten to their door?
unless you're planning to run 37's or larger and play really hard, all you really need is a set of 1310's. regardless of what you get, don't let the fancy name of a u-joint or the warranty it comes with fool you and ask for a made in the USA spicer joint. a warranty on a broken chinese joint isn't going to get you off the trail.

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

very true about getting you off the trail..

The business i'm going through cannot get Tom Wood's products in yet especially with my timeframe, so i'm going with the Reel 1310 HD shaft.

Has anybody ran this before or current uses this shaft?

and can i see some pics of aftermarket shafts?

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Driveshaft?