Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best 35's for you buck

Old 03-20-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straight from aussie.....

If you can install a set of brakes you can install the Aussie Locker®.
The "Aussie Locker"® is the most relied on differential on the market today. Trusted by offroad enthusiasts to get their vehicle in and out of every possible situation the "Aussie Locker"® delivers performance.

The true automatic locker.
A simple design with no actions required by the driver to actuate the locking capability. There are no cables, electrical wires, air lines, pneumatic or external connections of any kind required.

Safe offroad and on.
Unlike manual lockers which do not provide differential action when locked and severely hamper steering and directional maneuverability, the "Aussie Locker®’s" smooth and sensitive operation allows differential action resulting in uncompromised steering, uphill or down, soft or hard surfaces. Even on highway driving the "Aussie Locker"® does not impede performance

another tidbit

The Aussie Locker relies on a simple and highly innovative mechanical design which makes use of two distinct sets of forces, "ground driven" forces acting on a wheel when cornering (forces the outside of the wheel to turn faster) and the engine driven forces through the drivetrain. The combination of these two sets of opposing forces and the unique Aussie Locker design allow the automatic locking an unlocking of the driving gears when a vehicle turns or requires differential action.

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You picked the wrong Aussie quote... do you also believe everything a politician tells you? How about the statement that describes how it PHYSICALLY works:

>>>
The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.
<<<

So this means that ideally the inside wheel will turn at engine speed (or the same as the rear wheels, if they're locked) and the outside wheel CAN turn faster. It has to be "forced" to turn faster... this requires traction.

This is in the IDEAL situation though. What about non ideal situations? Specifically, what about if both wheels have low traction (snow/mud), or if you're going downhill and significant weight is on the OUTSIDE wheel...

All I'm saying is that for a guy who "doesn't wheel very hard at all", this might not be the ideal locker. It WILL be a compromise at least sometimes vs an open diff.

Last edited by noot; 03-20-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spinlock
There are plenty of great 35" MT and AT tires, but for best value I would consider:

Cooper STTs
ProComp Xtreme AT or MT
Firestone Destination MT
Maxxis Bighorn
Hankook MT rt03
I can vouch for the Cooper STT's. They are great all around tire for onroad/offroad driving especially in mud, very quiet, very little wear so far with 12k miles and almost have an identical tread to the toyo M/T's for over 100$ less a tire! I got mine for 250$ a piece out the door, with an 18' wheel.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by noot
You picked the wrong Aussie quote... do you also believe everything a politician tells you? How about the statement that describes how it PHYSICALLY works:

>>>
The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.
<<<

So this means that ideally the inside wheel will turn at engine speed (or the same as the rear wheels, if they're locked) and the outside wheel CAN turn faster. It has to be "forced" to turn faster... this requires traction.

This is in the IDEAL situation though. What about non ideal situations? Specifically, what about if both wheels have low traction (snow/mud), or if you're going downhill and significant weight is on the OUTSIDE wheel...

All I'm saying is that for a guy who "doesn't wheel very hard at all", this might not be the ideal locker. It WILL be a compromise at least sometimes vs an open diff.

And my point was that you were saying it would cause all sorts of problems....it wouldnt at all. As with ANY locker you need to know how to compensate when using it.

On a side note, in your thumb picture it looks as though you have painted your stock bumper to match your rig?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noot

>>>
<<<

Politician ? Smartass huh?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered 5 35 12.5 r17 Goodyear Mtr w/Kevlar for $1300 from 4 wheel parts two weeks ago. Good price but they called me a couple days after I ordered them to tell me they are on back order for up to eight weeks of course it was after they charged my card.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

I too am interested in hearing about which 35s are the best bang for the buck, and have been following this thread.

Could you folks talking about aussie lockers start your own thread about that? You kinda hijacked this one.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Firestone M/T, number 1 on tirerack, great offroad reviews from those that have them, around $220 or so.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maxxis Bighorn's, these things are awesome......just got them mounted Friday.....$760 for 4 delivered to my doorstep.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitto Trail Grapplers

I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers, not much on the forum on them as they are pretty new. But the road noise is almost comparable to my stock tires, and the few times I have taken it in the mud or to do some rock climbing...they have impressed the $hit out of me.

The look is awesome...but the price is not cheap, I paid $2100 to my door for 4-20" XD rockstars with 35x10.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers...from rimsoneonline.com.....that was the best deal I could find by over $300.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: best 35's for you buck