Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best 35's for you buck

Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidsjeep
Love My 35 GY MTR'S. out the door for 300 Bones each
+1

Local goodyear place matched the best price I could find on the internet, at $270.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Another vote for the Maxxis Bighorns.

315/75/16's for $169 each at Discount Tire. (they matched the best price I found online, with national service vs dismounting and shipping back to some online shop if there is a problem...) Compared to $270 each for the BFG or Goodyear tires in the same size, that's pretty good bang for the buck.

The only downside to this tire is that it runs short. Mine are a bit over 33.5" at normal load/inflation. (I believe the goodyears are closer to a 'true' 35" tire)
Hmm, never measured mine....waiting for my Procal to be delivered so will eventually get around to it. Parked next to my brother in law with the same lift but KM2's we look idential...but so many facotrs go into it and the naked eye is not the best measure!

EDIT**** Was curious so just went out. at 32psi, mine are coming in around 33 7/8 or just about 34. Not sure how best to measure them but did it several ways and those are the low and high numbers. Per the Maxxis website the specs for my tires state overal diameter is 34.6"

Last edited by mpkelley20; 03-17-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get pitbull rockers cause they look sick plus they have a rep of being pretty tuff...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Maybe I missed it somewhere but can you confirm what size wheels you are running? The difference in price between 15" and 16" can be huge with tires. Take KM2's for instance, they will run you about $200 a piece for 15" but it will jump to probably $265+ for 16".

The cheapest tire I have seen that everyone LOVES are the Bighorns. I was lucky and got 16" tires for $163 but I believe most places will sell them for around $190. Not many good tires in 16" sizes will sell for that price.

Just wanted to confirm as prices people are posting are all over the place and with differnet size wheels.

check out the Kuhmos at tire rack 35s are 139.00 out the door and the tread pattern is virtually identical to the big horn.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of great 35" MT and AT tires, but for best value I would consider:

Cooper STTs
ProComp Xtreme AT or MT
Firestone Destination MT
Maxxis Bighorn
Hankook MT rt03
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

KM2's...$182 each.....35x12.50x15
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Another vote for the Maxxis Bighorns.

315/75/16's for $169 each at Discount Tire. (they matched the best price I found online, with national service vs dismounting and shipping back to some online shop if there is a problem...) Compared to $270 each for the BFG or Goodyear tires in the same size, that's pretty good bang for the buck.

The only downside to this tire is that it runs short. Mine are a bit over 33.5" at normal load/inflation. (I believe the goodyears are closer to a 'true' 35" tire)
I've seen others say their Bighorns are undersized and I was prepared for mine to be a little bit but, my 35x12.50x15 measure 34.5". Maybe just the metric sizes run small.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
You're new at this arent you?

In the winter it wouldnt be nice, but other than that you are fine.....what part of the drive train is it going to ruin?
New to physics? Not quite... Way to go out of your way to be a d1ck tho, fellow Canadian

My original statement was semi incorrect, as the locker would be open always unless in 4x4. Dry pavement is not an issue unless you're already in 4x4, which is stupid anyway.

However, when in 4x4, the front diff would be locked when there is power going to it (how aussie lockers work). Would this not make it significantly more difficult to steer? I know with my front diff locked on grass even, it feels very different. You only have 1 wheel with traction.

Last edited by noot; 03-20-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by noot
New to physics? Not quite... Way to go out of your way to be a d1ck tho, fellow Canadian

My original statement was semi incorrect, as the locker would be open always unless in 4x4. Dry pavement is not an issue unless you're already in 4x4, which is stupid anyway.

However, when in 4x4, the front diff would be locked when there is power going to it (how aussie lockers work). Would this not make it significantly more difficult to steer? I know with my front diff locked on grass even, it feels very different. You only have 1 wheel with traction.
Not trying to be a dick just hate misinformation being passed. Find me something anywhere that says Aussies are locked in 4x4 and I will eat crow. It it a power thing NOT a 4x4 thing. Guys run Aussies in the front all the time.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Not trying to be a dick just hate misinformation being passed. Find me something anywhere that says Aussies are locked in 4x4 and I will eat crow. It it a power thing NOT a 4x4 thing. Guys run Aussies in the front all the time.
You are right with both statements, the aussie locks up anytime there is power to the locker, which means it locks any time you are in 4WD. I can tell you guys that steering sucks in 4wd anytime you are on solid ground or pavement with the aussie. But as you said before, it is a horrible idea to drive locked in those conditions.

Quick Reply: best 35's for you buck