Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best 35's for you buck

Old 03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think you can go wrong with bfgoodrinch all terrains. 35s should cost you around 185 a piece. They are great, Ive had them on multiple jeeps.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steven4est
I plan on regearing to 4.88's getting an aussie front locker and leaving the LSD in the rear, because i dont wheel very hard at all.
Pretty sure an Aussie locker in the front is a BAD idea... a locked front diff makes turning difficult offroad, and will potentially ruin your drivetrain on dry pavement.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KM2s 35 12.50 15s and cragar soft 8s five of them with lugs and caps for $1200 inc tax.

That's was 240 for tire,wheel, lugs, cap, mounted balanced and taxes. Local discount tire
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by noot
Pretty sure an Aussie locker in the front is a BAD idea... a locked front diff makes turning difficult offroad, and will potentially ruin your drivetrain on dry pavement.
You're new at this arent you?

In the winter it wouldnt be nice, but other than that you are fine.....what part of the drive train is it going to ruin?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

since aussies are locked all the time, the binding and wheel hop you will get from the tires turning the same speed, can hurt suspension parts and even bust gears and axle shafts
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

umm last time i checked aussi's arent locked all the time... they only engage when one tire spins like 20% more then the other which is probably never on pavement in 2wd
also another way to say that is you can hear the clutch ratchet in it click when take sharp slow turns
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AndrewCote
since aussies are locked all the time, the binding and wheel hop you will get from the tires turning the same speed, can hurt suspension parts and even bust gears and axle shafts
Aussies are automatic or part time lockers. Not on full time. If that werethe case why buy a locker at all, just weld your gears. Lol. Aussie will click on hard turns on pavement. That's it. It isn't reccomended in ANY 4 wheel drive vehicle to do hard turns regardless of being locked or not.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it somewhere but can you confirm what size wheels you are running? The difference in price between 15" and 16" can be huge with tires. Take KM2's for instance, they will run you about $200 a piece for 15" but it will jump to probably $265+ for 16".

The cheapest tire I have seen that everyone LOVES are the Bighorns. I was lucky and got 16" tires for $163 but I believe most places will sell them for around $190. Not many good tires in 16" sizes will sell for that price.

Just wanted to confirm as prices people are posting are all over the place and with differnet size wheels.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noot
Uh yeah it is a bit difficult to turn, so what's your point? Should everyone just throw away all lockers?

4wd with open differentials acting stupid on dry pavement will ruin or break something, with lockers yes u can too. Think it even says it in your manual not to drive around on dry pavement with 4wd engaged, but maybe some goof balls do.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Another vote for the Maxxis Bighorns.

315/75/16's for $169 each at Discount Tire. (they matched the best price I found online, with national service vs dismounting and shipping back to some online shop if there is a problem...) Compared to $270 each for the BFG or Goodyear tires in the same size, that's pretty good bang for the buck.

The only downside to this tire is that it runs short. Mine are a bit over 33.5" at normal load/inflation. (I believe the goodyears are closer to a 'true' 35" tire)

Quick Reply: best 35's for you buck