Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent tie rod. Maybe bent drag link

Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I bent my tie rod at Rausch creek this past weekend. And my drag link may be bent too but it's hard to tell. It certainly looks like it has curvature now as well. Likely going to buy the synergy tie rod. I can't decide whether it's worth it to get the drag link from them too. I'm on a 2.5 budget boost and 33's. The drag link works non-flipped with wheel spacers. Thing is, it drives perfectly still. And my steering wheel is fairly straight, at one o'clock or so. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-645039546.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	557093   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-709714312.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	557094   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2496466699.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	557095  

Last edited by AirJordan613; 06-02-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't go wrong with Synergy. However, if your tires are tracking straight (not toed in or out) and your not getting any shaking or wobble I would keep running what you have for the time being.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
So I bent my tie rod at Rausch creek this past weekend. And my drag link too may be bent but it's hard to tell. It certainly looks like it has curvature now as well. Likely going to buy the synergy tie rod. I can't decide whether it's worth it to get the drag link from them too. I'm on a 2.5 budget boost and 33's. The drag link works non-flipped with wheel spacers. Thing is, it drives perfectly still. And my steering wheel is fairly straight, at one o'clock or so. Thoughts?
you probably bent it on rock creek lol good job winching rick out
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Unless it's bent really bad, or it's contacting other parts during use, you can just adjust the tie rod and the drag link to take out any alignment problem. 1/16-1/8" toe in on the tires, and center the steering wheel. Fifteen minute task easily accomplished even on the trail (as we did at 4:04 in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c Do be aware that once bent, it's easily bent again, so while you can certainly drive with it for a while, it's a good idea to get it replaced before too long and you end up with it really mangled up (say, catch a tire in a rock crack while wrenching the steering wheel). It's also a good idea to make certain you know the various facets of the ESP disable button--if it bends enough, you may find that your Jeep has the nasty habit of removing the gas and applying the brakes on one side every time you try to accelerate on the Interstate with your steering wheel ****ed 90 degrees off (as happened to us a few years back).
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417
you probably bent it on rock creek lol good job winching rick out
Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Unless it's bent really bad, or it's contacting other parts during use, you can just adjust the tie rod and the drag link to take out any alignment problem. 1/16-1/8" toe in on the tires, and center the steering wheel. Fifteen minute task easily accomplished even on the trail (as we did at 4:04 in this video). YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c Do be aware that once bent, it's easily bent again, so while you can certainly drive with it for a while, it's a good idea to get it replaced before too long and you end up with it really mangled up (say, catch a tire in a rock crack while wrenching the steering wheel). It's also a good idea to make certain you know the various facets of the ESP disable button--if it bends enough, you may find that your Jeep has the nasty habit of removing the gas and applying the brakes on one side every time you try to accelerate on the Interstate with your steering wheel ****ed 90 degrees off (as happened to us a few years back).
I think I'm pretty set on replacing the tie rod. I just don't know what to do about the drag link because I don't remember what it's supposed to look like

Quick Reply: Bent tie rod. Maybe bent drag link