Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Tie rod again, help

Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Tie rod again, help

Was in Moab this weekend and bent my tie rod again. Want to go to chromolly. What are pros and cons to the different ones out on the market. Will switching to a stronger tie rod force me to break a knuckle next instead of the tie rod bending? IS the tie rod bending due to the pressure of running 37's or hitting rocks or both. It is easier to fix a bent tie rod than a broken knuckle in my opinion. Does anyone make a relocation for the tie rod so it is not so vulnerable to rocks?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
Was in Moab this weekend and bent my tie rod again. Want to go to chromolly. What are pros and cons to the different ones out on the market. Will switching to a stronger tie rod force me to break a knuckle next instead of the tie rod bending? IS the tie rod bending due to the pressure of running 37's or hitting rocks or both. It is easier to fix a bent tie rod than a broken knuckle in my opinion. Does anyone make a relocation for the tie rod so it is not so vulnerable to rocks?
I think the drag link will be the next most vulnerable thing. Running 37's definitely puts more stress on it. I'm running 33's and my buddy is running 32's and we both bent ours at Chinaman's Gulch. We didn't hit anything with it either. I too am thinking about a HD tie rod. Not too worried about mine as the steering wheel was off just a few degrees, but my friends' was off almost 90 degrees. I think alot of it is just the added stress due to new angles created by lifting it. I went through Moab in my Rubicon stock twice and it was straight as an arrow afterwards
Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
Any idea what brand is easier, better, cheaper, better to adjust than others?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Rock Krawler Heavy Duty Tie Rod Installation Write-Up
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Where can you buy the tie rod ends for the RK tie rod?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I copied this from another thread here a while back, it may still be good info...

Rockauto.com
Part Number: MOOG ES194R
Part Type: Tie Rod End
Price EA: $55.89
Quantity: 2
Total: $111.78

Shipping Ground $ 7.55
Order Total $ 119.33
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I copied this from another thread here a while back, it may still be good info...
It's not good info, the RK setup uses the stock drag link TREs now.
I've got the original design that ues the Moog ends.

Either way, it's beefy.
I hit a rock with my stock tie rod, stopped, said maybe I ought to look at that, got out leaned down in the front and immediately saw it was bent. I really didn't hit it that hard, not as hard as when I backed into a stump that took out the seal on my stock rear diff cover. But it was a rock, still, I didn't hit it that hard.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if the RK Tie rod will work with the RC dual stabilizer without hitting anything?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Does anyone know if the RK Tie rod will work with the RC dual stabilizer without hitting anything?
ranwitscissorz from FL got his working with it, needed bigger ubolts, he just posted in another tie rod thread about this I cant find lol
Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks tkob, bigger u-bolts is what I was thinkin, just worried about cflearence.

Quick Reply: Bent Tie rod again, help