Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Tie Rod

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lo2aY
Local 4x4 shop. the tech. said that they aren't as beefy as another companies tie rod is
its chromoly with moog rod ends, how much beefier can you get? sounds to me like your local 4x4 shop doesn't have an account with rock krawler and are just trying to push what they either have in stock or can make a bigger profit on. i see this happen all the time
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
its chromoly with moog rod ends, how much beefier can you get? sounds to me like your local 4x4 shop doesn't have an account with rock krawler and are just trying to push what they either have in stock or can make a bigger profit on. i see this happen all the time
I've spent over $16000 in that shop. I hope what your saying is not true. or I would be frustrated. I'll bug them about it again tomorrow and see.

what are you running on yours wayoflife?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Strength isn't the issue, it's that you can't adjust the thing on the Jeep, you can with another product. Either way, the dude is covered.

Your last comment is rather ironic considering you do something similar with this site.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm a total suspension idiot so pardon my ignorant. but I was told earlier today that Rock Krawler wasn't the best way to go!

MOWrangler

Have you tested it?
example would be like putting all the weight on the front and steering or something like that

Thanks guys
I've been out wheeling twice since installing it and there are a few marks from where I bounced it off of rocks, but no bends like the stocker. The stockers are hollow, where the RK is sollid Alloy and weight twice as much. The 3/4 ton Moog tie rod ends are stout and easily replacable. That, and Rock Krawler stuff is waranteed "abuse-proof", but I can't imagine needing to use it.

Believe me... I'll continue to hit it hard and am the first to comment if it doesn't hold up as abuse-proof.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the above comment true that both ends are the same thread direction making it non-adjustable once installed? That would be inconvenient, but not enough to not buy it.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent over $16000 in that shop.
what shop is that Lo2aY?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by km2jk
Is the above comment true that both ends are the same thread direction making it non-adjustable once installed? That would be inconvenient, but not enough to not buy it.

Yes, no need to lie about it.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bad planning on their part. It would not have taken much to thread one left hand and get a different rod end. too bad they havent done it. Maybe a couple calls will get them on board with a more easily adjustable set up.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

I have both the RK tie rod and drag link. BEEF! Yes they are solid, not DOM. I think that is where the debate comes in. There are several that believe a DOM is more difficult to bend than a solid. However, once a DOM bends, it is worthless and has lost almost all of its structural integrity. Considering the diameter of the solid RK rods, and their warranty, there is no better way to go in MY opinion. Two sides to every story...

Now, I will warn you... I cant use my Woods SS Relo Bracket anymore because of the larger diameter of the TR and DL. When I stuff the psgr front tire up, there simply isnt room on top of the TR for the SS. I could still run it below/behind the TR, but I've gone through 4 of them that way. Anyway, my steering is dialed in tight, so I'm not even running a SS anymore... Thought I would mention it though. Also, maybe lift, articulation, etc plays into how much room there is in that NARROW gap where the TR and DL scissor together... Dunno. I just know there isnt room righ there for mine.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Oh yeah... same thread directions for the TR, but the DL is opposing. Not a big deal at all. Assuming you dont bend your C's or your axle housing, you only have to set your toe once. When you install the TR, you make it the correct length, put it on, end of story...

Quick Reply: Bent Tie Rod