Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Rear Axle Shafts? Pics and Question

Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sushi
easiest way.....while the wheels and tires are still on jeep, jack up rear axle and put on jack stands, pump up the brakes, put it in gear and let the wheels spin , get out and watch the calipers...if they are shifting side to side the axle is bent...if they don't shift the axles are ok
A warped rotor on a good axle will do that, too.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my video of the bent flange I think my flange run out was .027 or so. That was me using a 20 dollar caliper and mount to measure run out. When I called superior they didn't know any specs and had to call me back. My local drive line shop said that they start considering replacement over .01. If you look at my other videos on my you tube you will see another video of same wheel with stock shaft with no wobble squeak squeak. That's how I got superior to give me a new one. I probably wouldn't of done anything about it but my jeep sounded like shit!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARM2004
In my video of the bent flange I think my flange run out was .027 or so. That was me using a 20 dollar caliper and mount to measure run out. When I called superior they didn't know any specs and had to call me back. My local drive line shop said that they start considering replacement over .01. If you look at my other videos on my you tube you will see another video of same wheel with stock shaft with no wobble squeak squeak. That's how I got superior to give me a new one. I probably wouldn't of done anything about it but my jeep sounded like shit!
Ya, I used a dial indicator that was a few bucks more, and was at .03 in. on passenger side...so...I am likely in denial...they need a bent axle emoticon on this forum.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

After being in a state of denial, regards the "bentnicity" of my rear axle shafts, I caved and got the chromolys.

Turns out that the replacement shafts not only stopped the rear brakes from screaming, they also, appear to have cured a chronic steering ailment my Jeep suffered from, i.e."pulling" towards the passenger side.

A word of advice, LockTite the studs BEFORE placing the wheel on them and spinning the wheel. I broke the ABS sensors off both sides during install because the studs that come with the axles are NOT pressed on, and when I placed the wheel on them they slid away from the flange towards the tone ring, causing the aforementioned breakage.

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thx!!

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Yes sir everything is pressed on .

David
I called Northridge and spoke to Shaun, I think, and he has them on the way, everything pressed on, and with a great warranty!

Quick Reply: Bent Rear Axle Shafts? Pics and Question