Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Rear Axle Shafts? Pics and Question

Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Rear Axle Shafts? Pics and Question

Brought my Jeep into dealership for a TSB issue, regarding a "Squeal-Like Sound From Front Axle Pinion Gear Flange And Seal" on 2007 Wranglers, which they claim to have addressed.

After claiming to address the TSB, I was informed that a tech heard noises coming from the rear axle also. I was later informed that the diagnosis was two bent rear axle shafts. They qouted me nearly nine hundo to replace with stock shafts...I declined the offer.

Took my Jeep home & pulled shafts which are shown here:

I inspected the axles for signs of "bentness", i.e. irregular wear patterns at splines, races, bearings, etc. as I suspect that most damaged mechanical parts would show signs of damage.

I did not see any unusual signs of wear on either shaft. I did, however, find that the brake pads, that this same dealership replaced last fall as part of a rear rotor and pad replacement, was missing the clips that fit between the pads and housing on one of the rear driver side pads.

I have read that this missing component can cause noise. I have a call into the dealership to have them provide me with the clip.

My question is:

Do you think my approach to examining the shafts is sound and would allow me to make a proper diagnosis or should I go further, i.e. bring them to a shop and have them check for "trueness"?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Take a 6 foot level ( or something you know for a fact is DEAD straight) and hold it to the shaft.

Go around the entire shaft... no gap in the level, no bend.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The easiest way to check for a bent rear axle shaft is to spin it while still installed, and look for run-out at the flange. If the wheel is straight, do the check with it installed, too. Run-out will be more apparent at the greater diameter.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
Take a 6 foot level ( or something you know for a fact is DEAD straight) and hold it to the shaft.

Go around the entire shaft... no gap in the level, no bend.
Originally Posted by ronjenx
The easiest way to check for a bent rear axle shaft is to spin it while still installed, and look for run-out at the flange. If the wheel is straight, do the check with it installed, too. Run-out will be more apparent at the greater diameter.
Giddy Up! I'll give those a whirl. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree.

And you are correct in telling them no way for $900 for stock shafts we sell chromoly aftermarket shafts for 550
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I agree.

And you are correct in telling them no way for $900 for stock shafts we sell chromoly aftermarket shafts for 550
May have to give you a call. Are the bearings, tone ring etc already pressed on? If not what is the charge to replace those components?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May have to give you a call. Are the bearings, tone ring etc already pressed on? If not what is the charge to replace those components?
Yes sir everything is pressed on .

David
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fwiw...

Put a dial indicator on the flange of both axles while they were installed and spun the axles.

Results:

Run Out on Driver's Side: .007 in.

Run Out on Passenger's Side: .03 in.

Do these numbers have any value regards determining "bentness"? Did not see any real swaying from side to side when I spun them.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not much of a bend. Did you check for run out with the wheels installed? Could you have bent wheels?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepyJeep
Put a dial indicator on the flange of both axles while they were installed and spun the axles.

Results:

Run Out on Driver's Side: .007 in.

Run Out on Passenger's Side: .03 in.

Do these numbers have any value regards determining "bentness"? Did not see any real swaying from side to side when I spun them.
I can't find a spec for the Jeep JK.
A google search shows other axles of similar design have a max allowable flange runout in the 0.004" to 0.008" range.
Runout at the flange is amplified at the tire outside diameter.

Quick Reply: Bent Rear Axle Shafts? Pics and Question