Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bent axles, need explanaltions ??

Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
So to run 37s on a d30, my plans have sort of changed. I don't wheel extreme rocks or high speed. I stick with trails, muddy stuff, some rocks, but not crazy ass shit. I am usually really careful with my throttle control. I have only really wheeled seriously for a couple years now, so I am still new to the whole designing my build aspect of things. I'll be getting new driveshafts no matter what. And I have a 6 speed.
So, I guess I am wondering this: What are the weak points of my proposed build?

Sticking with a D30...
5.13s
ARB lockers front and rear
EVO gussets
EVO LCA skids
Riddler covers
I figure the week points would be the D30 axle shaft and arguably being unsleeved, but I don't know if I can justify shafts and sleeves (thats a ton of money to put into a D30)

I've also seen comments on here that locked 5.13s are tough on a D30, but are 4.88s really any better?

And would it be recommended to invest in the RCV shafts in order to execute my plan? Or is it better to stick with the regular axle shafts and maybe have them fail eventually keeping the R&P in tact?

And, lastly, and perhaps most importantly...would this all be a mistake later down the line, knowing I am spending money on the lockers and regearing and everything for the D30???

Thanks for the help...I mean in a perfect world I'd have a hemi and be running on 40s....
My opinion, get spare stock axles and save all that extra money for a d-60 . I put gears, c-gussets and a lockright auto locker in mine for now. All the mods my 30 is gonna see till I get a 60. Right now that amounts to about $650-$750 in it, ain't droppin no more, got some spare axles for free from a member.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-19-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
My opinion, get spare stock axles and save all that extra money for a d-60 . I put gears, c-gussets and a lockright auto locker in mine for now. All the mods my 30 is gonna see till I get a 60. Right now that amounts to about $650-$750 in it, ain't droppin no more, got some spare axles for free from a member.
Free, huh?
Looking to unload some axles in the future? That would sure be awesome...I know my garage has plenty of room to keep them nice gee, once you get 60s, you would have plenty of extras and no need for them, huh?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by joneszj
Free, huh?
Looking to unload some axles in the future? That would sure be awesome...I know my garage has plenty of room to keep them nice gee, once you get 60s, you would have plenty of extras and no need for them, huh?
If I don't have to use them before I get a 60, I'd be more than happy to give them to someone, being as they were given to me.But the d-60 will probably be 6-12 months away.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 AM
-

Question, the gears set 5.33 and locker on a D-30, would it be transferable on a D-44 or D-60 eventually ?? If not, don't waste money on it cause you will have issues on D-30 with 37" at some point (I think...) If they fit, then start that way and you will have them when swapping diff. ( but I doupt they will fit... not same size hein ?)
Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jk20084p
Question, the gears set 5.33 and locker on a D-30, would it be transferable on a D-44 or D-60 eventually ?? If not, don't waste money on it cause you will have issues on D-30 with 37" at some point (I think...) If they fit, then start that way and you will have them when swapping diff. ( but I doupt they will fit... not same size hein ?)
No, none of it will work. I had 35's when I got my 5.13's and locker. I got 37's cause I needed new tires. Kinda gotta work in stages $ wise. Rather than buy another set of 35's, figured I'd baby the jk with 37's for now . I'm in no rush, hurry get this and that so it's complete or better off in the here and now. It's more about what you WANT for the jk vs really what you need on most of the mods we do.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Default Bent axles?

My jk 4 door is stock except for bumpers and winch and rock sliders. I have been driving off road for years> I never worried about bending or even breaking an axle . Now it seems every magazine I pick up has something about axle bending and the need for trusses. So If I add a 2-3 inch lift and 34-35's am I also going to have to add axle braces supports etc. I bought his jeep so I could go where I wanted and not worry about breaking down. I drove a bone stock 05 rubicon across the rubicon trail and didn't bend anything> So what gives I thought the JK's were supposed to be superior in every to the TJ especially the axles. Any body bend the axles How were you guys like really stamping o the skinny pedal in the rocks or did somebody hit something at high speed or jump the the thing? Is this really something I have to worry aBout, i f i put 34-35 tires on a small lift?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Going fast in the desert was one of the most fun things I've done in my jeep. I was going relatively slow compared to my truck friends, but I still got a little airborne a few times. I'm thinking of spending the time and money to get sleeves and trusses if I start doing this more often.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
My jk 4 door is stock except for bumpers and winch and rock sliders. I have been driving off road for years> I never worried about bending or even breaking an axle . Now it seems every magazine I pick up has something about axle bending and the need for trusses. So If I add a 2-3 inch lift and 34-35's am I also going to have to add axle braces supports etc. I bought his jeep so I could go where I wanted and not worry about breaking down. I drove a bone stock 05 rubicon across the rubicon trail and didn't bend anything> So what gives I thought the JK's were supposed to be superior in every to the TJ especially the axles. Any body bend the axles How were you guys like really stamping o the skinny pedal in the rocks or did somebody hit something at high speed or jump the the thing? Is this really something I have to worry aBout, i f i put 34-35 tires on a small lift?
I have heard that you have to get airborne to bend an axle tube. Keep in mind that they can be straightened if you do bend them. A very experienced axle shop quoted $250 to straighten a bent tube on a JK. While not cheap, it ain't a ton of money either. You would spend at least that much on sleeves and installation.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

it doesn't take air... i apperently bent mine, with only mild offroading
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do they build them different than the 44's they put on 1/2 and 3/4 ton dodges and chevys. I had both half and 3/4 ton chevys with dana 44's up front, and was running 40" tires and big blocks, and thrashed the hell out of them without any problems. None of the troubles I have seen guys having with their Dana 44 Jeeps. Weird

Quick Reply: bent axles, need explanaltions ??