Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bent axles, need explanaltions ??

Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bent axles, need explanaltions ??

No mine are not bent.... but reading many posts here and reading the text on the Dana 44 reinforcement kits, it seems a Dana 44 with oversized tires is prone to bending. It is a fact that is observed, so I do not doubt it, I just don't understand why ??? Why more prone to bending than with regular size tires ?

The weight on the axles is the Jeep's weight. Unless you have a wheel off the ground, the weight on the axles is the same, and the wheel only weight say 50 pounds more (for really big tires)...

The torsion on the axles and strain on the gears and pinions I can figure out, but that is not bending the axles....

What IS then ??? (I am curious...)
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, for one thing, a bigger tire will have more leverage over the axle. Not only is the tire bigger around, it sticks out a little more.
Bigger tires probably means the Jeep will see more severe wheeling, too.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk20084p

The weight on the axles is the Jeep's weight. Unless you have a wheel off the ground, the weight on the axles is the same, and the wheel only weight say 50 pounds more (for really big tires)...
This is not true. When the wheels are turning, they make a physical energy. Bigger are the wheels, stronger will be this energy and you will have a bigger stress on the axles and bearings.

You told me 2 months ago that you wheel a lot with your JK. Therefore, I would recommend to buy this reinforcement kit.

If you still don't understand make this experience:

Take a bicycle. The front wheel must be off the ground.
Install a 27" wheel, turn the wheel as fast as possible, and turn the steering left and right. You will feel this energy and stress.

Remove the wheel, and install a 22" or 24" wheel. Do the same test, and you will feel how much lower is this energy.

Last edited by Yoda; 12-18-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i ran my dana 44 with super heavy 37" toyo's and walker evans bead locks and WITHOUT any sleeves (inner or outter) and experienced NO bending of the front axle tubes. yes, i did gusset up the axle c's as they were showing signs of bending but that's it. now, if you need me to qualify the kind of wheeling i do and on average 2-4 times a month, i can provide both photos and videos to give you an idea. all the hype about axle sleeves is just that, hype. certainly, EVEN IF you bent your axle tubes, you can still drive just fine and not have any problems. however, IF you break an axle shaft or maybe a ring and pinion - both a more likely scenario when running bigass tires, you can be left high and dry.

you asked what it is? i'm here to tell you that it's just marketing and a lot of people buying into the hype. while axle sleeves are nice to have, they are far from necessary.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been wondering about weather or not I needed anything to keep the axle from bending. Has anyone on here actually had their axle tube bent?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
This is not true. When the wheels are turning, they make a physical energy. Bigger are the wheels, stronger will be this energy and you will have a bigger stress on the axles and bearings.

You told me 2 months ago that you wheel a lot with your JK. Therefore, I would recommend to buy this reinforcement kit.

If you still don't understand make this experience:

Take a bicycle. The front wheel must be off the ground.
Install a 27" wheel, turn the wheel as fast as possible, and turn the steering left and right. You will feel this energy and stress.

Remove the wheel, and install a 22" or 24" wheel. Do the same test, and you will feel how much lower is this energy.
That force you're feeling is called precession. Similar experiement...Take off the bike wheel and hold the axle in your hands. Stick your hands stright out and have a friend spin the tire. Now first move just your hands back and forth and you'll feel the tire torque over. Secondly, with your hand stright out, spin your body, you'll feel the whell raise or lower. I thought it was neat when I tried it....
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

"you asked what it is? i'm here to tell you that it's just marketing and a lot of people buying into the hype. while axle sleeves are nice to have, they are far from necessary."

I wish these words of wisdom were tagged to the original panic created and the installation of my C gussets!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the biggest thing is that everyone has there own idea as to how hard they are on ther jeeps. some people think driving highway speeds down back roads is normal and jumping it is being a "little" hard on. were others think driving fast down back roads is concidered beeting the shit out of it.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i ran my dana 44 with super heavy 37" toyo's and walker evans bead locks and WITHOUT any sleeves (inner or outter) and experienced NO bending of the front axle tubes. yes, i did gusset up the axle c's as they were showing signs of bending but that's it...
I gusset'ed mine as well... don't wheel near as hard or much as WOL, but just would rather be safe than sorry
Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
-

Well thanks for all the answers.

I know what the resistance is when a wheel turns, it is the principle behind the gyroscope; a wheel turning will resist any change of direction. I just never figured this would be sufficient to bend the tube or axle.... Someone mentionned highway speeds, but you don't turn that hard on a highway.

I guess stepping on the gaz to spin hard out of a mud hole while turning the steering to get a grip is the real danger then... which I don't like to do anyway, getting pulled out by a friend is more of my liking in those situations... and I prefer rocks than mud holes.

I do not intend to beef up my diff because I run 35", and when I wheel, I like to slowly crawl, not high speed bumps or jumps. Also, my dealer is very mod friendly and I am sure he will be more reluctant to accept repairs on waranty if I start to weld pieces on the diff than just with 35" ...

I will add skid plates and bumpers instead

Quick Reply: bent axles, need explanaltions ??