Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Axle or Shafts?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tvan93
Also, will I cause any damage by driving on a bent shaft/flange. I may have to wait a month or so to save the extra cash for replacements.
I haven't fixed mine yet and it's been about 2 months. The damage I'm seeing is the brake pads on that corner are getting shot real quickly. I haven't had time to install my replacement shaft yet and probably won't get to it for another month, the rear brake pads will definitely need changed at that time.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed the squeak after a wheeling accident,(rolled over) so that's what I figured. Your first video is exactly what mine looks like, so i'm pretty confident thats what it is. Would my wheel bearings possibly be shot too?
Thanks for the help.
Bearings and seal are pressed onto the shaft. Not worth (IMHO) the effort to pull them and press them on new shafts. Buy a set with everything pressed on. Keep the old ones for trail spares.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I buy them pressed on. I've noticed everywhere I look online sells the whole combo, but none come pressed. Also do I need the axle shaft seal retainer too?
http://www.northridge4x4.com/drivetr...ner-68008523aa
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I buy them pressed on. I've noticed everywhere I look online sells the whole combo, but none come pressed. Also do I need the axle shaft seal retainer too?
Crown Automotive Rear Axle Shaft Seal Retainer - 68008523AA
^^^This exact company you linked sells the shafts with the bearings pressed on with the retainer plate included just look up the ten factory shafts on their site
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
^^^This exact company you linked sells the shafts with the bearings pressed on with the retainer plate included just look up the ten factory shafts on their site
Those are the ones I looked at and it says pressed but asks if you wants to add the seal retainer.
http://www.northridge4x4.com/drivetr...moly-axle-kit?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the ones I looked at and it says pressed but asks if you wants to add the seal retainer.
Ten Factory JK Non-Rubicon, 30 Spline, Dana 44 Rear Chromoly Axle Kit (TENMG22156)
When I get mine ill be adding a new retainer. Those things get kinda beat up. Ill use the old ones as trail spares with the old shafts
Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
When I get mine ill be adding a new retainer. Those things get kinda beat up. Ill use the old ones as trail spares with the old shafts
Yeah that's the route I'll go. Just got off the phone with them and it comes all pressed is you add the seal. Worth it IMHO
Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah that's the route I'll go. Just got off the phone with them and it comes all pressed is you add the seal. Worth it IMHO
Ordered a set myself back on black Friday. The hardest part was removing the old shafts - rent a slide hammer from AutoZone (free - you buy their loaner and return it when done) and go to town.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I bought the 10 Factory shafts after going through 2 sets of stock shafts. I can replace one side in less than 30 minutes now that I have done so many times. A cool trick is to flip your rotor and slide it back on your lug bolts and take 3 of your lug nuts and screw them back on turning each one until it is halfway on. Once on this way you can use your rotor as a slide hammer and your axle with pop out. Make sure you tilt the side you are working on slightly higher than the other side to keep diff fluid from leaking out. Also make sure you are careful with the speed sensor and don't strip that little 8mm bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137189333.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	640930  
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

After looking at it all I was actually missing most of my brake pad clips like chuck the ripper said, still think it may be slightly bent but for a $10 pack of clips I can at least drive without squealing and save for shafts.

Quick Reply: Bent Axle or Shafts?