Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bent Axle C vs Bent Axle Tube

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I bought my sleeves from Mt Logan Offroad for $145 shipped. (Way less expensive than BOR.)

Hope to install them, my ORE gussets & LCA skids this weekend.

Will take pics

Just Google Mount Logan Offroad Logan Utah & you will find their contact info. You have to order on the phone. They don't have an internet store.

If you drive to Logan, Utah, they will do the parts and install for abou $300 plus tax..

The RK truss is designed for their long arm system. Don' know how it would work with stock control arm brackets.

I have read that you can tell if your axle C is bent by whether there is a gap between your ball joints and their mounting location. Or, you can have an alignment done to see if your camber is out of spec.
$145 for just parts? The price must be going up as they use to be $125. Mt Logan installed mine for $200 total parts and labor.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Axle Tubes

Been doing a lot of reading....should I be concerned with my axle tubes bending as well? I am installing EVO C2 gussets....
Should I worry about my axle tubes now too?
Are there products to address this also?
I am regretting buying a JK rather than a TJ now that I am hearing about all these issues....
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Slight correction, the ring gears between the D44 on a JK and TJ are identical. The pinion got bumped up some. As it was the weak point of a D44 (it was the same size as a D35). Both used D30 tubes, C's, and shafts.

Thanks for the info on the install.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the D30....should I be worried about my tubes bending?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I am getting gussets made, a small truss to go between my pumpkin and the upper control arm mount on the long-tube side, and I am doing the lower control arm mount skids as well.
Thx.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bent

ok i was told that my axle housing and knuckle is bent should i be worried about abnormal tire wear? i no symptom like leaky seals. should i replace the diff or just drive it?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Get an alignment to find out how far you are out of stock specs.

If your camber is way off due to the bends, you can install offset ball joints to correct it.
Do you know what the "correct" camber is for a stock setup? My tubes LOOK bent and my [very good and experienced] 4x4 shop mechanic told me that they are bent. They completely look like it, but then my camber is 1.1* and 1.2* up front and has been that now for 9 months or so. I find it strange that such a slight degree (just over 1*) can appear to be so noticeable.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

My front tubes look REALLY bent as well... and I'm only running 35's and haven't been able to test them offroad yet. So that tells me that the tubes SHOULDN'T be bent... unless I'm just really unlucky with potholes on the street. I'm hoping it's just an optical illusion.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

I don't recall stock specs, but when you get an alignment, the shop usually prints out a before and after spreadsheet. The spreadsheet includes information about the recommended stock range of specs.

They enter your information into their computer to obtain the recommended spec range.
Duh... Thanks for pointing out what I was too dumb to remember. While the before and after is the same, since it cant be adjusted... It does list the "specified range" as -.6* to +.1* so I am obviously out of spec with 1.1* and 1.2* left and right. Now it is a matter of figuring out if it is the housings like my mechanic has been telling me, or the C's.

Originally Posted by JKBenB
My front tubes look REALLY bent as well... and I'm only running 35's and haven't been able to test them offroad yet. So that tells me that the tubes SHOULDN'T be bent... unless I'm just really unlucky with potholes on the street. I'm hoping it's just an optical illusion.
I'm wondering if there is an optical illusion also, but "eye-balling" it is how my mechanics determined my housings were both bent. After they told me that, I put it on the rack and confirmed that my camber was out of spec. I wish somebody would post up that theirs "looks" like the axle is smiling, but has camber readings in the specified range.

All in all, I guess it doesnt matter. I'm going to sleeve the tubes, and gusset the C's so that will keep both of them exactly where they are right now... Then I will have to determine if it is worth adding offset ball joints. Ok, well, thanks for allowing me to talk through this! Haha!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it possible to sleeve the tubes if they're bent? I was definitely considering buying the 44 magnums, but figured if the tubes are already bent they wouldn't be much good. I'm afraid I'm gonna end up dumping more money into the 44 than it's worth. haha wish I'd just started with an X and put in 60's from the start. Ah, hindsight.

Quick Reply: Bent Axle C vs Bent Axle Tube