Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Benchmark rear bumper and tire carrier info request

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benchmark rear bumper and tire carrier info request

Hey guys,

I'm looking at the benchmark rear bumper and tire carrier. I'm almost set to buy, but I'm a little concerned with the modification that needs to be done to the rear crossmember. If I'm going to be towing or winching out, I want to make sure the rear crossmember remains structurally intact.

Those who've installed the rear bumper, can you explain how much modification to the crossmember there is, and give me a feel for how stable the remaining structure is? Pics would be awesome!

Thanks,

Micah
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by burbingus
Hey guys,

I'm looking at the benchmark rear bumper and tire carrier. I'm almost set to buy, but I'm a little concerned with the modification that needs to be done to the rear crossmember. If I'm going to be towing or winching out, I want to make sure the rear crossmember remains structurally intact.

Those who've installed the rear bumper, can you explain how much modification to the crossmember there is, and give me a feel for how stable the remaining structure is? Pics would be awesome!

Thanks,

Micah
I've been following this bumper as well. I don't think anyone on the site has finished the install yet (at least I haven't seen a full write-up or completed pictures with the carrier.)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I've been following this bumper as well. I don't think anyone on the site has finished the install yet (at least I haven't seen a full write-up or completed pictures with the carrier.)
Yeah - trying to find info on it is difficult. I really love the design, but I just want to make sure I'm not destroying my vehicle with the install.

Micah
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Here's a picture that was posted by Rafi in the Benchmark order update thread:

It appears that a substantial chunk (i.e. ~8 inchs) of the crossmember is entirely removed. I can't tell from the picture, but it appears that the bumper is secured to what's left of the crossmember by its steel corner bracket. It looks like it screws or welds into place with screws every 3 inches or so on both corners.

Anyone care to comment on the rigidity of this setup? I hate to say it, but it appears to me to considerably reduce the structural integrity. But then again, I'm not a mechanical engineer...

Micah
Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

I believe a substantially greater portion (23") has to be removed. I was thinking the same thing about bolts connecting the remaining outboard pieces of the crossmember directly to the bumper but we won't know for sure until someone posts up their experience or Benchmark releases some instructions.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Apparently Rafi is still working on getting his installed. His status and notes are in this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Carrier/page5

Quick Reply: Benchmark rear bumper and tire carrier info request