Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Below Freezing temps means.....

Old 11-21-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Below Freezing temps means.....

Hard top back on, doors on and time to put on the winter tires here in Connecticut and get ready for the ski/snowboard season!

My winter tires arrived today and I will be mounting them up on some black painted Rubi wheels. Looking forward to comparing the on road manners between the MTR's and the Duratracs. Looking forward to a snow filled winter!!!!!!!

Just an FYI: purchased these from Discount Tire Direct, had a great experience with them, arrived in two days, and great great pricing! Thanks!

Not quote sure why they are flipped sideways, but I stopped to take a shot as I rolled them into the basement next to my mounted MTR's. They almost look bigger based on the angle of the pic, but they are very close in size when I took the pic. I know that will change as soon as I mount them and put some weight on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	512312Click image for larger version

Name:	tire stack.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	512311
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	512310   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	512320  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 AM
JK Newbie

What type of tire are they? I've been looking for a good winter/snow tire that is a bit bigger.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trail grapplers have been doing pretty good in the snow the last few days.
Those tires look like they have a lot of siping. Should work even better.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I think offroad in snow, or in deep snow the trail grapplers do great, on road with snowy conditions I have found that they aren't that good and I slide around a lot.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Last night was our first snow fall. I know cruising around on our roads at 40 - 45 mph with a light snow dusting on the ground, my 37'' Toyo Open Country M/T weren't all that great on road. They slid on me pretty easily a few times. I'm thinking my Jeep is gonna be hell on wheels come real snow and ice conditions. I might have to break down and buy me a good set of Duratracs or other snowflake rated tire for the winter. I drive 3 hours to work and 3 hours back home too. So tons of highway driving.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
I think offroad in snow, or in deep snow the trail grapplers do great, on road with snowy conditions I have found that they aren't that good and I slide around a lot.
I agree off road there great on road not so much. Slide a lot spin a lot an don't do well on roads. Kinda sucks but I do like the tire in every other aspect
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

I wish Nitto would do a hybrid trail/terra grappler. Like a terra grappler with the lugs spaced out more. Terra's were great on road wet and snow. Clogged up easily with mud. Being in co, I may try the terra grappler next. Did good on the Landy.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I wish Nitto would do a hybrid trail/terra grappler. Like a terra grappler with the lugs spaced out more. Terra's were great on road wet and snow. Clogged up easily with mud. Being in co, I may try the terra grappler next. Did good on the Landy.
That would be a nice design. I ran the Terra's and they were an outstanding AT. Sure they don't look the meanest, but man do they perform great, especially in snow

Sent from iPhone moderating JK-Forum.com
Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cspradlin
What type of tire are they? I've been looking for a good winter/snow tire that is a bit bigger.
They are Goodyear Duratracs. I ran them on another Jeep I had and they were fantastic all around. I especially liked them with our northeast winters. I feel that the siping adds a good amount of traction over my MTR's. I live on some extremely curvy roads and I prefer to have a decent set of winter tires. To me the added expense of having a second set of tires is worth the added level of safety. Although I am sure the MTR's would have gotten me around just fine, I like the extra traction that the Duratracs provide on slippery surfaces.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
My trail grapplers have been doing pretty good in the snow the last few days.
Those tires look like they have a lot of siping. Should work even better.
love the pic......just waiting on some snow here so I can get the snowboard out and hit the trails!!!

Quick Reply: Below Freezing temps means.....