Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

It begins....

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just yalls' opinions here....I've been working on drivelines for damn near thirty years. I always thought it was simple and straight forward. So, those of you who've done successful gear swaps now.......don't yall think that most of these shops talked about on here are robbin people blind? I sure do. We used to swap gearsets out at the DEALER for 200 bucks an axle. Labor only of course.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Just yalls' opinions here....I've been working on drivelines for damn near thirty years. I always thought it was simple and straight forward. So, those of you who've done successful gear swaps now.......don't yall think that most of these shops talked about on here are robbin people blind? I sure do. We used to swap gearsets out at the DEALER for 200 bucks an axle. Labor only of course.
Sure do. It's become one of those things on a vehicle that noone wants to touch because they don't think they can...you were right though, once you figure out the process and how a good pattern is achieved there's really nothing to it, little tricks here and there help for sure.
Hell, when I was speaking to some of my local buds they thought I was nuts to even attempt this??? That kind of mentality perpetuates the the problem and shops treat it like surgery. I understand that they have a business to run, and they probably have all the special tools they need to pay for which only make the job that much easier....but we're looking at about 450-500 USD an axle on average up here.....200 would be alot more reasonable, I may have been tempted to just pay that........but again along with having someone else do the work opens you up to having it done poorly or potentially improperly...tkob knows
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here's it in action.

I only put one of the drive shafts bolts in place. I think that's all it needed to keep it stable.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I want to be somewhere in the 2200 range. Right now I have 321's and 75mph is 2000 in 5th But still pulls fine Sorry for the high jack
Originally Posted by ThinkMud
I think 4.88's with a stick would be fine. I had 5.13's with a stick and it was a tad too low, but only noticed it on the interstate, i was over 3k rpms at 65 mph.

so 4.88's would work a little better, probably be closer to around 2.8k rpms?

but the auto's seem fine with 4.10's and 35"s as long as you flash you computer to know you have 35" tires.

What gears do you currently have? if you are moving the 3.21 or 3.73, then yeah 4.56 would be worth it, but if you already have 4.10's then I wouldn't jump that small, i would go all the way to at least 4.88's.

don't get me wrong though, i loved my 5.13's around town and on the trail, just burned up more gas on the interstate.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

That's brilliant man, good job on the tool fab'ing!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
That's brilliant man, good job on the tool fab'ing!
Thanks. I wish I had done a case spreader as well, that would have shaved some serious time off this project.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regeared my rubicon myself. Replaced pinion flanges with Yokes for the new driveshafts. I built a bar to engage the yoke holes using grade 8 bolts as pins. Sheared them off trying to crush the sleeves. It took well over twice the torque that the manual suggests. Needed a pipe on the breaker bar.

Be sure to use new pinion nuts when replacing gears.

Mike
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Nice work man
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Great write up.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: It begins....