Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

It begins....

Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
KUDOS for doing it yourself.
i wouldn't know where to begin. (would probably begin with a beer or two or three... and then ending with an excuse that i'm too drunk to tackle it )

Thanks
I will continue to edit my original post with updates to on how everything is holding up....new pics added with the flange wrench.
If someone is interested in making their own my best suggestion would be to find a way to hook the tool up for a good solid connection to the back side of the flange...not much room behind it though
Old 04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Northern... Where abouts in Alberta are you...
This write up is nicely detailed
Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
Northern... Where abouts in Alberta are you...
This write up is nicely detailed
Edmonton. I didn't initially plan on doing a very detailed write up but I'm working on a fairly detailed one right now. I don't really discuss the finer points of setting up the gears, ie what backlash is, or pinion depth...but if you research this stuff online a bit you can figure it out.
And if you already have a fairly decent set of tools, all you probably need to get your hands on is a 34mm(or 1 5/16") socket, dial indicator, micrometer, flange holder of some sort (RC is constructing a pretty wild one by the sounds of things) and an inch pound torque wrench beam style....then it's really not too bad.
I hope to get a more detailed write up together here shortly.

I lived in Ft St John back in '88 if i remember correctly...and what I do remember is that every 4th road was paved
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have to say, Great work! Wish I could do that, but I am going to run up and have AEV regear mine.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

New updates on first post.

Detroit Truetrac with new gears installed up front as of yesterday.
...I love this Jeep
Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man, nice work.

I wish I had the courage to do it myself.

Last edited by ZoSo-Green; 04-26-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantabulous. Let us know how it works. you've accomplished quite a feat.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
And if you already have a fairly decent set of tools, all you probably need to get your hands on is a 34mm(or 1 5/16") socket, dial indicator, micrometer, flange holder of some sort (RC is constructing a pretty wild one by the sounds of things) and an inch pound torque wrench beam style....then it's really not too bad.
I hope to get a more detailed write up together here shortly.
I'll post up a pic of the tool. It was worth the 8 hrs I put into making this as crushing those sleeves like BNJK mentioned is a serious task.

I have a couple pics with it in action, I'll get those posted up soon.

I put it through the trials this last weekend and it passed (with honors). Wow, the front crush was a monster (the rear is serious too but the front was outa control). My impact gun (IR231) was maxed at 140 psi input and still a long way to go on that sleeve to get the play out of the pinion bearings. Probably had to go another 3-4 full turns of the pinion nut with this tool (and 4 ft of breaker bar) to achieve the 10 in-lbs of bearing preload. Thought I was gonna pop some blood vessels.

Blacknorthern, thanks for postin up and the writeup as well. You're gonna help alot people out with those writeups.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice work, and nice new tool to hod the pinion from spinning when you torque it down! we had a heck of a time on my last JK to get that thing tight... if that tool works u should sell it for real.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the real question..... 4.10s from 3.21s.... worth the effort? or do you wish you would have gone lower?

Quick Reply: It begins....