Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bedlining rims

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by harraid5711
Sure! I really like the look of them from the pics that I've seen in the forum. I think they'd be killer on my white Jk. I would purchase black wheels outright......but I have twins coming any day now and this should hold me over until money is a bit more plentiful (like in 18 years lol).

I am right there with you on cost of toys vs. cost of family! There are many threads here from folks who painted, powder coated and lined there wheels. Congrats on the addtions to your home!!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on your new mods.........uh I mean additions to the family
Are these you're first? if so , just remember to breathe
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thank for the replies everyone. Looks like I may not need to mess with priming.....one less thing! Yes these are our first kids.....it's about to get crazy around here!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Congrats for the addition to the family!

Id say 3 coats of bedliner would do the trick. The first coat looks to be uneven then the second coat gets better. The third coat eliminates any uneven spots. Youve probably noticed this from looking at pics of write-ups though.

Last edited by racin444; 04-09-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Simple to Do.....

It is really easy and had to goof up....

First I block my wheels on the Jeep (so it did not roll off the floor jack, and removed two rear. After I completed the two, I replaced them onto the Jeep and removed the front 2 & Spare.

I used the blue painters tape to tape off the tire around the wheel lip. I removed the center Jeep hub (as I kept them Chrome). I placed the wheel on a flattened cardboard box to absorb all the liquid. I taped the valve stem. Sanded the wheel and then I degreased the wheel (both sides). I had to use a portable heater as they suggest over 60 degrees. I dried the wheels and I sprayed 2-coats of the Dupli-Color Bed linner. (Allow 5-10 minutes between coats) DON'T OVERSPRAY. Once dry (very quickly) I then re-wiped the inside of the wheel and sprayed the backside with Rust-Oleum Flat Black. (DO NOT use the bedlinner on the inside as it will hold dirt & mud. I also had to paint (Flat black carefully on the Front brake metal work otherwise the silver showed.

All five wheels painted and on the Jeep within 2-hours. I used 2-can of degreaser and 1-1/2 cans of the Dupli-Color bedliner.

Once all the wheels were on the Jeep, I torqued all the lug nuts and THEN put on the center Jeep cap, knowing that the wheel was finished.

Looks GREAT..... could not be any happier....

HAPPY PAINTING.......

Originally Posted by harraid5711
Thank for the replies everyone. Looks like I may not need to mess with priming.....one less thing! Yes these are our first kids.....it's about to get crazy around here!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Wheels turned out great today. Wife is also dialated to a 2!!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

That a boy, workin on the jeep while your wife is in labour
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Lol. Guess that does sound kinda funny when I reread my post! she's not in labor quite yet.....but it won't be long! I'm gettin a bit nervous

Quick Reply: Bedlining rims