Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bedlining rims

Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedlining rims

I will be bedlining my wheels this weekend and had a couple of questions. I searched quite a bit but didn't find the answer.

1. Do most people do the backside of the wheels as well?

2. If I wanted to do 3 coats of bedliner and 2 coats of self etching primer......how many cans of each should I buy?

3. Is a scotch-brite wheel for my drill good enough to scuff them, or do I need to sand as well??

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may I ask why you want to do this? Not that I am knocking it... just wondering
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Sure! I really like the look of them from the pics that I've seen in the forum. I think they'd be killer on my white Jk. I would purchase black wheels outright......but I have twins coming any day now and this should hold me over until money is a bit more plentiful (like in 18 years lol).
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

so just for looks, i gotcha... I just havent seen it and was trying to figure it out. I understand the $ flow problems... doing it yourself or Rhino or LineX?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I will be doing it myself as there are plenty of write ups on here that make it seem quite easy, just a couple of details to wrap up.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Just wondering, did you happen to find anything on how it effects when the wheel and tire assemble balance out?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

I did. Many say that as long as you apply it evenly, it shouldn't affect anything. The spray on liner is quite thin compared to the roll on liners, so it shouldn't throw anything off.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

1)It's up to you if you want to spend the money to do both sides. Will anyone be able to see the inside of your wheels? Probably not.

2)One coat of primer and two coats of bedliner should be more than enough. Bedliner is so thick that you may even be able to get away with one coat.

3)I would think two cans of primer and four cans of bedliner should be enough. If you want more than one coat of bedliner, increase 2 cans for every extra coat.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

I did mine. Just the outside, sand and 2 coats of bedliner. Can stated primer not needed and it worked great. I did have my tires mounted and balanced after I painted them so I'm not sure of any issues there. Great thing about bedliner is the easy touchups when you rub a rock. The stuff blends like nothing I've ever seen before. Good luck
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Same here. No primer. 3 coats after scuffing. No balance issues that I came across. Been holding up great since last summer.

Quick Reply: Bedlining rims