Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bedliner paint for fenders and bumpers

Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my hardtop. Love it. There is a UV black top coat that keeps the bedliner shiny and protected from the sun and extra protection from tree branches. I did it two years ago and it's holding up great.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riosfj
Hi:

I like to know if I have to sand and apply primer to the stock JK bumpers before apply the Rustoleum Truck Bed coating, or just clean and paint?

Thanks in advance...
stock bumpers are plastic - so no primer needed. you will still want to sand them to give the new paint grip to stay on.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Christine
I did my hardtop. Love it. There is a UV black top coat that keeps the bedliner shiny and protected from the sun and extra protection from tree branches. I did it two years ago and it's holding up great.
Is it like a bed liner? Do u know the name of it?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Can you use the same stuff as a bedliner?

I checked out LineX in Knoxville and they wanted $1400 to do my JKU!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default painting new bumper

so my new Poison Spyder Brawler Lite (stubby) is en route and will be arriving as bare steel. I was looking at rattle-can painting it myself and hearing Krylon and Rustoleum bedliner as good choices. My question is: is anything needed to prep before spraying? Primer, sanding etc?

I'm def a newb when it comes to this stuff , so any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battle_Chop
so my new Poison Spyder Brawler Lite (stubby) is en route and will be arriving as bare steel. I was looking at rattle-can painting it myself and hearing Krylon and Rustoleum bedliner as good choices. My question is: is anything needed to prep before spraying? Primer, sanding etc?
I doubt you'd have to sand it, but you'll definitely want to wipe it down first with some sort of alcohol or acetone to get any oils off the metal. Hopefully someone who's done it can suggest the best thing to use for that. Then I'd use a self-etching primer on it, then the Rustoleum bed liner.

That's the plan for my Poison Spyder bumper anyway.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant09
I doubt you'd have to sand it, but you'll definitely want to wipe it down first with some sort of alcohol or acetone to get any oils off the metal. Hopefully someone who's done it can suggest the best thing to use for that. Then I'd use a self-etching primer on it, then the Rustoleum bed liner.

That's the plan for my Poison Spyder bumper anyway.
ok so i need to use a primer first. got it! thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default bedline fenders

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I don't understand why people would bedline their fenders? The fenders are already a textured plastic anyways...

If it was a smooth painted fender, then I would understand that.
My jeep is a 2013. Its fenders are starting to fade, and have rub marks from trees and trails.
I considered bedliner just to freshen them up.
I would think thick layered bedliner would add a little bit of strength...not sure.

Ernie
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battle_Chop
ok so i need to use a primer first. got it! thanks!
Yes. You'll want some isopropyl alcohol to wipe down the metal with before you spray anything on it. You don't want any kind of oils (even from touching it with bare hands) on the surface. And make sure you use self-etching primer for the bare metal (this is mentioned in the Poison Spyder instructions, too).
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Posion Spyder rocker knocker rock rails. I bedlined the rails and painted the inserts. The paint on the inserts has not held up very well but the bedliner still Los good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4026913126.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	553317

Quick Reply: bedliner paint for fenders and bumpers