Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bedliner to avoid

Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about raptor. But its all about the prep to get a good hold and finish.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afish
Thanks guys this isn't for the jk yet. Was planning on doing the bottom some of the off road trailer I built and wasn't sure what I wanted to use to paint the sides and was considering bed line so I figured I would do the underside first to see how I like it since this is my first attempt at using it. I have all tools needed and was planning on using the rattle can for simplicity but Im not opposed to rolling or spray gun of its better. Thanks guys I didn't see the rust oleum so skipped it today. Where can you buy the raptor liner
I think there are only 2 places, maybe three with amazon? The place I got mine from was called "TP tools and equipment". There is also a place called tcpglobal. Both places are about the same price after shipping when I bought mine. It was $121 shipped. After buying supplies I came in under 200 bucks. On amazon there is someone selling the kit without the gun so make sure the kit you get has one.

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
I did the monstaliner and rolled it on. Here are some pics to compare with roosters. I will tell you that a friend of mine did raptor liner at the same time I did mine and his painting time was less than an hour where mine was like 5 hours.
Wow, that looks great . Mine took about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to spray because you need to wait an hour between the 2 coats. Prepping the surface took a good day.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newbie, that came out great. Im doing the monstaliner around the beginning of october when It starts to cool off. I havent seen too many JK guys using it for some reason
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Monstalined my hard top with the rollers and it was a bit of a pain. The inside has so many nooks and crannies I had to use a paintbrush and it took f o r e v e r. I'm considering the tub but definitely going to spray that.

Unfortunately I finished just before I deployed so I haven't been able to drive around with it. I can tell you that 7 months is a great curing period.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the rustoleum as well. It has worked well on bumpers and sliders for me. The key to any painting is prep. Clean the surface. Make sure there is no rust (POR15 not withstanding). Make sure there is no grease, wax etc. Acetone on a lint free rag works great. Scuff the surface a bit first some sandpaper or steel wool. This gives the paint something to "bite" into. Be sure to clean AFTER sanding/scraping. Don't paint when the humidity is high and give it time to dry/cure.

I did my first bumper in duplicolor and ended up stripping it (that sucked) and redoing it in Rustoleum. Has held up well.

Quick Reply: bedliner to avoid