Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bed lining questions

Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed lining questions

Hey Jeepers, sorry if this is something that's been asked and answered already, but I'm on mobile so it's kind of tough to search. I'm thinking of bed lining the tub of my JKR. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or have a shop do it, so here are my questions.
For those of you who had a shop do Rhino lining or Line-X, how much did you pay? So far the cheapest quote I've got is $1000, and that's if I do all the prep work myself (removing carpet, seats, center console trim and roll bars). I felt like that was a little on the high side for a 2 door Wrangler, but I may be wrong. Also, how long were you without your Jeep? This is my DD for now until I get my second vehicle put back together, so quicker is always better.

For those of you who did it yourself, how difficult would you rate this project? My JK is still new, less than 5000 miles, and if rather not jack up the tub if that can be avoided. What type of surface prep did you have to do? Which product did you use, and how durable has it been? Rattle can or roll on? Would you do it again, or would you take it to a shop to have it done?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I did raptor in my tj and it went well. Just scuff the surface, clean up, then shoot the liner.

The kit was $120, paint was $30, and prep was maybe $20. I gave it two days to gas out after I sprayed it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150725_170249.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	619866

Last edited by karls10jk; 07-30-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rolled on Monstaliner on my 07. It has a much smoother texture than other bed liners which was nice. All the prep work is a pain but worth it, I'll go the same route with my new rig.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sprayed my tub last Sunday with Raptor Liner. I love it so far. There are tons of write ups on this just google "jeep jk raptor liner". The job is not hard at all just very time consuming. My suggestion is do it yourself and save some $$$, use it towards something else (regear and lockers for me). Also an excuse to justify purchasing an air compressor. Here are some before and after pictures. Let me know if you have any questions.

Name:	image-2457353295.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	619871

Name:	image-3644924814.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	619872
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Baltimore I paid $1300 for my two door. I did the prep work as far as removing everything and they did the stripping. It turned out great but my feet would get very hot in the summer and in the winter with the top on I could not get rid of the smell. It gave me a headache so bad i sold the jeep a year later.

edit: Line X
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
In Baltimore I paid $1300 for my two door. I did the prep work as far as removing everything and they did the stripping. It turned out great but my feet would get very hot in the summer and in the winter with the top on I could not get rid of the smell. It gave me a headache so bad i sold the jeep a year later.

edit: Line X
This is the first I've heard of this. Usually it's about a week to get rid of the smell. I'm really considering getting it done/doing it myself. That or just pulling the carpets and running floor mats
Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my 2 door line-x'd. It was $800 here in FL and I stripped out and put back the interior. They just had me leave the driver seat in with just 2 bolts holding it. They stripped the sound deadener/heat insulation stuff. I'm pretty sure I got it back the same day but it may have been the next day. It's been a while and my wife can't remember either. They wrapped the line-x over the rail and down to the first body line. They suggested it to prevent the soft top from wearing out the paint when installing or removing it. I am very happy with it.

On my way to the line-x place, I felt the additional heat coming up from the floor. It was lessoned when driving it back home. I stopped even noticing it after a couple of days. In fact, I totally forgot about it until someone else mentioned it. I still run slush mats (I expoxied the retainers right to the line-x) and don't drive barefoot FWIW. My wife's Jeep is stock and when I drive hers, I don't notice any difference when I get back in my Jeep. So I either got used to it or immune to it. I have not had any problem with smell.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-31-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by acopley87
Hey Jeepers, sorry if this is something that's been asked and answered already, but I'm on mobile so it's kind of tough to search. I'm thinking of bed lining the tub of my JKR. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or have a shop do it, so here are my questions.
For those of you who had a shop do Rhino lining or Line-X, how much did you pay? So far the cheapest quote I've got is $1000, and that's if I do all the prep work myself (removing carpet, seats, center console trim and roll bars). I felt like that was a little on the high side for a 2 door Wrangler, but I may be wrong. Also, how long were you without your Jeep? This is my DD for now until I get my second vehicle put back together, so quicker is always better.

For those of you who did it yourself, how difficult would you rate this project? My JK is still new, less than 5000 miles, and if rather not jack up the tub if that can be avoided. What type of surface prep did you have to do? Which product did you use, and how durable has it been? Rattle can or roll on? Would you do it again, or would you take it to a shop to have it done?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!
Hey acopley87

Have you looked into BedTred mats, they cover the hole floor and rear tub (if you get booth the frt, & rr. Kits) they also have heat shields, so your feet don't roast. They insulate for sound and they also help to keep your jeep warm in the winter and there only about $450.00 bucks for booth. They also give a little cushion so items don't bang of the floor and can be removed for cleaning for when you get in the real deep stuff. Check them out at I beleave it's Bedrug.com or do a Google search for BedTred. You see them advertised in JP magazine all the time. Hope this helped.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info everybody! I think I'm going to have to do some more research into the Raptor lining, I really like the idea of saving all that money! How bad has the noise/heat increase been for the rest of you? Also, do you guys still run without the drain plugs or put those back in since there's no carpet to cover them?

Quick Reply: Bed lining questions