Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Are Beadlocks Necessary?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Beadlocks Necessary?

I am trying to figure out my build and have decided I am going to kick the stock wheels since I will be running 37's. So my question is should I invest in some beadlocks? I will be doing a lot of driving but a good amount of off-roading. I am in Tennessee, so we do not have many rock obstacles, but I plan on making trips out west. Will I be able to air down some without beadlocks or is it to risky, any opinions would be great.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bead locks are not necessary. A lot of guys run non bead locks.

I comfortably air down to 12-13 psi when wheeling with no worries of popping a bead. Some guys go even lower. You do not need bead locks if you don't want to shell out the cash for them.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

Agreed - but they're way cool :-)

I usually drop to 10-12 when wheelin and single digits in the snow and have been perfectly fine. I still want beadlocks though!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
Agreed - but they're way cool :-) I usually drop to 10-12 when wheelin and single digits in the snow and have been perfectly fine. I still want beadlocks though!
They are WAAAYYYY cool. If I had the cash to drop on some I would definitely have them. But I don't so for now I have my steelies that work just fine.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the coin, bead locks are awesome security. Otherwise you should be fine with most after market wheels. I air down to 8 psi on my Method wheels, no bead locks.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm running the AEV beadlocks and I love them, I really like having that sense of security when I air down low. But like everyone already stated they aren't required a lot of my buddies air down pretty low and they aren't running beadlocks. The best thing I like about mine are the fact that I mounted and balanced them myself so just one more sense of accomplishment when I look at my Jeep. Plus it validates my arguement with the wife when I want to do other projects on the Jeep and I'm saying "babe were going to save money because I can do it in the driveway and it's on sale"
Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not necessary but they are a good security. I run Toyo's and have aired down to 8 PSI on my soft 8's on level 6 and 7 trails with no issues. A trail buddy of mine runs AEV Pintler rims and airs down to 12 PSI and he has come off the rim 3 times but runs a less stiff side wall than I. The other reason I went to beadlocks is the placement of the valve stem. On the 8's the valve stem is very close to the outside and around here subject to rock damage and was a concern of mine. On the racelines the valve stems are recessed and out of the way.

I would say that unless you are doing something where you air down below 10 PSI and have soft sidewalls, don't bother with beadlocks.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I run 10 psi every time non beadlocks never had a problem. Really does depend on your tires sidewall though
Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont run them, and I run about 8 psi. Never lost a bead yet. It does depend on your rim to tire width also though. they call running a narrow rim a poor mans bead lock. Best world would be a double bead lock ad even with bead locks you can still blow the inner bead.. While its not nearly as common it can happen. They also make an insert that some people swear by. If i recall its a staun item? Ive seen inner and outer beads blow here, but normally the outers go.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I run Trail Ready beadlocks and like them very much for the added security when I air down. Hearing some of the other posters here air down to 8-10psi is really quite impressive so you may be able to get by with a non beadlock wheel. I just sent the ring only of my spare wheel to be powder coated for $25 and at that level I don't lose sleep over beating them up on the rocks either. Do what works for you and keep in mind how your rig is going to get used and go from there.

Quick Reply: Are Beadlocks Necessary?