Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks leaking air.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Nitto's are about the best tire when it comes to Beadlocks. It's not the tires.

Often it is an installation issue such as not evenly seating the ring. The obvious is to have the wheel on a bucket so the tire freely hangs. Lots of lube under the ring so it doesn't bind as it is torqued. And then slow and steady with the bolts just a little at a time. Too much too fast and it's no good.

I've only ever run ATX and Trail Ready, but in all my years I've never even leaked a pound.
Originally Posted by DJ1
Yeah, bucket method definitely a must-do.....don't seat the ring with the tire on the ground.

Attachment 665136

Attachment 665137

Attachment 665138

Thats how I do it as well. They were holding for a year, then now all of the sudden 2 don't. I set them on the paint bucket and then take a rubber mallet to hit the tire to fully seat around the rim. I even put commercial grade tire sealant on the rim lip before putting the tire down on. Maybe the bolts are stretch and I need to order a new set.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Ah, ok. It's all about perspective. Let me fix the issue for you. You currently have two tires with too much air. Air them down to match the other two and you'll be all set

Seriously though, ATX seem to be about the best for not leaking. The Chamber Pro IIs are pretty sweet. Trail Ready are right there too.

One other option if you really like those wheels is to try adding inner Beadlocks. However, you risk throwing good money after bad.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Ah, ok. It's all about perspective. Let me fix the issue for you. You currently have two tires with too much air. Air them down to match the other two and you'll be all set

Seriously though, ATX seem to be about the best for not leaking. The Chamber Pro IIs are pretty sweet. Trail Ready are right there too.

One other option if you really like those wheels is to try adding inner Beadlocks. However, you risk throwing good money after bad.
Yeah its not too fun driving around town at 5psi lol.

Im gonna pull them apart and clean them up again. Then try without a spacer and new bolts to see if that will solve this as mine could be stretched. Next option, getting a second set of rims and tires for daily driving and have these for the trails.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

If you have been driving on them for a year without leaking, I'm not sure the spacer is the problem. Have you periodically re-torqued the bolts?. I would break down the two that are leaking, clean everything, and re-install them using plenty of soapy water and tightening the bolts evenly and really take your time to torque them.

Also, check the valve stems for wear and make sure they still have a good seal. You might actually just replace them..
Old 01-21-2017, 10:48 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah its not too fun driving around town at 5psi lol.

Im gonna pull them apart and clean them up again. Then try without a spacer and new bolts to see if that will solve this as mine could be stretched. Next option, getting a second set of rims and tires for daily driving and have these for the trails.

Yes, also try sealing up the valve stems where they seat through the rim and/or re-tightening OR re-valving your valve cores. Thinking back, I remember that I did have to replace a valve core once on one of the Racelines as I was getting a very small leak....

I agree with Ryan. I bet it's air leaking from/through the base of the valve stem and/or a bad core.

* The TrailReady's actually sell kits for sets of new bolts, washers, and stems which I bought when I refurbished them after their new powder coat job. Not sure if Method offers similar sets for sale. You maybe able to buy new stems (angled valve stems are even better) from them....

* Not sure if Method uses the same thread pitch but maybe the stems will work. Bolts are also US Made....
link ---> http://secure.trbeadlocks.com/wheelaccessories.aspx

Last edited by DJ1; 01-21-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If you have been driving on them for a year without leaking, I'm not sure the spacer is the problem. Have you periodically re-torqued the bolts?. I would break down the two that are leaking, clean everything, and re-install them using plenty of soapy water and tightening the bolts evenly and really take your time to torque them.

Also, check the valve stems for wear and make sure they still have a good seal. You might actually just replace them..
Originally Posted by DJ1
Yes, also try sealing up the valve stems where they seat through the rim and/or re-tightening OR re-valving your valve cores. Thinking back, I remember that I did have to replace a valve core once on one of the Racelines as I was getting a very small leak....

I agree with Ryan. I bet it's air leaking from/through the base of the valve stem and/or a bad core.

* The TrailReady's actually sell kits for sets of new bolts, washers, and stems which I bought when I refurbished them after their new powder coat job. Not sure if Method offers similar sets for sale. You maybe able to buy new stems (angled valve stems are even better) from them....

* Not sure if Method uses the same thread pitch but maybe the stems will work. Bolts are also US Made....
link ---> TR Racing Wheels Online Store - WHEEL ACCESSORIES

Torquing not an issue, I check that about once a month. I know for sure its not the valve stem or core. I posted a picture in the original post but for some reason its not there.

So the blue dot is where my leaking issues are.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

I can't tell from the pic, but is that a bolt hole or flaw in the casting?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I can't tell from the pic, but is that a bolt hole or flaw in the casting?
Its the bolt hole. You can only see it because the space between the two spacers. The link below gives you an idea of how Method's spacers are.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ngs-package-jk
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Do all the bolts torque up perfectly? Being that it is leaking there I may try new bolts. The hole could be wallowed out or have a slight manufacturing defect?

Where did you order them, and have you called to get their input or called Method directly?

It does seem odd if they held air for a year then suddenly started leaking. Any chance you may have bent a ring on the trail?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Do all the bolts torque up perfectly? Being that it is leaking there I may try new bolts. The hole could be wallowed out or have a slight manufacturing defect?

Where did you order them, and have you called to get their input or called Method directly?

It does seem odd if they held air for a year then suddenly started leaking. Any chance you may have bent a ring on the trail?
No issues with torquing. I went ahead and pulled one apart and took the spacers out, torqued up, and filling with air. Gonna see if theres a leak over the next hour or so, if not, I should be good to go. The gap difference with the spacers is much larger, than without them. However, I don't want this to be the cause of a bent ring. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see what Method says for sure.

Quick Reply: Beadlocks leaking air.