Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks leaking air.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beadlocks leaking air.

So my beadlocks are leaking air, again. I used some commercial tire sealer on the inside of the tire lip and rim before setting them down again and torquing the rings. They held air for a bit and 2 of them are leaking again. I have spacers between the rings and rim, so I don't really think they are bent. They are also torqued to specs of 25lbs. The only air that is leaking is right at these areas on the rings, i'm assuming it's because these rings have these small gaps between them (blue dots).

My plan and wanted to see if it was going to be an issue. I was going to let the air out complete, clean up as much as I can with the rings and bolts on. Then take some RTV or sealant and go around the gap that you can see here between the ring and rim itself (between the red lines). I don't see a big issue with this, as I can still take out the bolts, and clean it off easily when taking them apart. But just wanted to see opinions on this.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

What beadlocks are they?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
What beadlocks are they?
Method 105s
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I'd try mounting without the spacers. Never had issues with my Racelines or TrailReady's but also didn't use spacers. Just used 4 longer bolts when needed to get the ring seated and went from there...

Old 01-21-2017, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I'd try mounting without the spacers. Never had issues with my Racelines or TrailReady's but also didn't use spacers. Just used 4 longer bolts when needed to get the ring seated and went from there....
I read there were a lot of issues with trying to mount without spacers on these 105s with tires like Nitto, due to the bigger bead.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would probably try mounting one without the spacer and see if it holds air. Not sure on the Methods, but are they a steel or aluminum ring?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I'd try mounting without the spacers. Never had issues with my Racelines or TrailReady's but also didn't use spacers. Just used 4 longer bolts when needed to get the ring seated and went from there....
I think I may be buying a new set of rims in the future. I just don't even want to deal with it once, this is now twice.

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would probably try mounting one without the spacer and see if it holds air. Not sure on the Methods, but are they a steel or aluminum ring?
Its aluminum. Assuming I would need longer bolts ?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:29 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Both sets I had (I just sold the Racelines last fall) were aluminum rings. Try using the longer bolt method to see if it'll work.

Pretty much just need 4 long bolts of the same pitch. Take the 4 longer bolts and set each pair 180 degrees from each other. Think the points of a compass North, South, West, East. This will get your ring started and seated if you have a thick bead. If a thick bead is still giving you trouble, try using 6-8 longer bolts instead....

I had to use this method mounting some Mickey Thompson's on the Racelines.

Then use the bolts that came with the rim and start working your way around the ring. Then once you have all the other bolts in, you can either leave the 4 longer bolts in or take out the 4 longer bolts and replace with the 4 originals.

Try it on one of the wheels that's giving you issues and see what happens....

Last edited by DJ1; 01-21-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Nitto's are about the best tire when it comes to Beadlocks. It's not the tires.

Often it is an installation issue such as not evenly seating the ring. The obvious is to have the wheel on a bucket so the tire freely hangs. Lots of lube under the ring so it doesn't bind as it is torqued. And then slow and steady with the bolts just a little at a time. Too much too fast and it's no good.

I've only ever run ATX and Trail Ready, but in all my years I've never even leaked a pound.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Yeah, bucket method definitely a must-do.....don't seat the ring with the tire on the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0672.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	665136

Name:	GOPR0674.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	665137

Name:	GOPR0684.JPG