Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks on Daily driver?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slob
^^^^^
Sweet! I might have to look into those!
Beadlocks cost alot?
Quality aluminum beadlocks are very expensive, around $370-450 per wheel. Average is $400, which is my Spyderlocks and Raceline Monsters cost per wheel in 17" x 9.5".
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well not doing that anytime soon. you know how it is
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BPMOTO505
I've been running AEV beadlocks (for sale) on the street for years with no problems. they balance just fine. I now have Spyderlocks; also balanced just fine. Beadlocks on a daily driver just aren't really an issue. Cops have never asked about them either
How much are you you selling the AEV wheels for? Can you tell me any positives or negatives of both wheels? I'm running 37in Toyo tires that are 13.5 wide so the spyderlock rim width I like not that the AEV rim width has ever been a problem aired down on a trail(10-12PSI). Also spyderlock I would not have to run wheel spacers. I'm not sure but reading about each wheel it looks like the spyderlock is more of a beefcake wheel. Am I right?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wytmike
I have OMF beadlocks with 37" Toyos and have not had any problems with balancing. Just need to check the bolts often to make sure they stay tightened.

Mike
How are you liking your OMF wheels? Would you purchase them again or go another rout? I really like how their wheels are customizable from start to finish.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

They were on the Jeep when I bought it. They have been great and would go with them again.

Mike
Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colegrove03
How much are you you selling the AEV wheels for? Can you tell me any positives or negatives of both wheels? I'm running 37in Toyo tires that are 13.5 wide so the spyderlock rim width I like not that the AEV rim width has ever been a problem aired down on a trail(10-12PSI). Also spyderlock I would not have to run wheel spacers. I'm not sure but reading about each wheel it looks like the spyderlock is more of a beefcake wheel. Am I right?
They are in the for sale section.
The Spyderlocks are heavier duty than the AEV. Also no spacers are needed and are wider. I think the Spyderlocks are going to be a pita to clean though.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

I have AEV beadlock wheels with over 20k miles run on them. I run them without the "need" for spacers and have not had problems with balancing using tape weights. occasional maintenance to make sure your bead ring's bolts are staying torqued down is all that is needed. My buddies are currently running Trail Ready beadlocks as dd's with no problems.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

So what happens if I were ever to be pulled over with Beadlocks on that are not DOT approved? Impound vehicle being it legally can't be driven due to wheels? Would the wheels ever be brought up if I were in an accident whether it was my fault or not? Anyone ever have any issues with the law as far as Beadlocks go? Hope I don't sound perinoid but I think they are legitimate question!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colegrove03
So what happens if I were ever to be pulled over with Beadlocks on that are not DOT approved? Impound vehicle being it legally can't be driven due to wheels? Would the wheels ever be brought up if I were in an accident whether it was my fault or not? Anyone ever have any issues with the law as far as Beadlocks go? Hope I don't sound perinoid but I think they are legitimate question!
Nothing will happen, as none of the states have a specific law banning beadlocks. DOT approved is just a specific set of quality and strength standards specified by the DOT. AEV has gone through the process of having their beadlocks dot approved. Therefore most beadlocks will say for offroad use only, for liability reasons, because they have not been specifically approved. But with that said, most beadlocks greatly exceed the specs for dot approval. If you do the proper maintenance beadlocks require, ie monthly torque checks of all the beadlock ring bolts, and annual replacement of the bolts, you won't have a failure.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive run spyderlocks for years no issues at all.. even had a cop ask if they where real beadlocks and he said thats cool... never any issues balanceing with 37's

Quick Reply: Beadlocks on Daily driver?