Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks on Daily driver?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beadlocks on Daily driver?

I have searched on the forums to find out people's thoughts on Beadlock rims on daily driven jeeps. I are now wheeling on a set of AEV Pintler rims and love them but would like to air my tires downs a bit more while wheeling. So my main question is how do Beadlocks drive on the street being that they do not balance out well from what I'm told? Will I notice this difference a lot at certain speeds or all the time? I am looking hard at spyderlock (not DOT) AEV (are DOT) and OMF (not DOT) what type of driving characteristics will the internal bead balance give? I really like the spyderlock Beadlocks and they claim they can be balanced with no problem at all. Any info is appreciated!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

I've got Spyderlocks showing up next week sometime. I'll post back with more info on how they do once I know. My Jeep isn't my DD anymore, but hopefully I can lend some insight for you.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks so much! Good luck with your wheels! I can't wait to hear what I hope is only good news about spyderlock!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Thanks. I'm going to first try the BB method to balance them. A guy local to me swears by it, and I figured I'll spend $20 on BBs to see if it'll work. If it doesn't, I'll have them road force balanced. Oh, I'm putting 35/12.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers on them, that I bought used (too good of a deal to pass up), so we'll see how it goes.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running AEV beadlocks (for sale) on the street for years with no problems. they balance just fine. I now have Spyderlocks; also balanced just fine. Beadlocks on a daily driver just aren't really an issue. Cops have never asked about them either
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have OMF beadlocks with 37" Toyos and have not had any problems with balancing. Just need to check the bolts often to make sure they stay tightened.

Mike
Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run Spyderlocks for 30k miles with no issues, and now have Raceline beadlocks for the past 2 k miles with no issues.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

Gate to sounds like a complete idiot so would some one tell me exactly what beadlocks even do? Sorry to be the village idiot
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slob
Gate to sounds like a complete idiot so would some one tell me exactly what beadlocks even do? Sorry to be the village idiot
Beadlocks have no outer lip on the wheel to hold the tire on. They instead have a flat surface on the outer rim, that the tire sits on, and a ring bolts onto the wheel with usually around 28-34 bolts, clamping the outer lip of the tire in place. Makes it safely possible to air down to single digit air pressure with out the risk of popping the bead off the wheel lip. Also has the convenience of being able to change tires at home.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 AM
JK Freak

^^^^^
Sweet! I might have to look into those!
Beadlocks cost alot?

Quick Reply: Beadlocks on Daily driver?