Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beadlocks

Ok, I know there are many of you running beadlocks on your DD despite the unclear laws. I am in Florida, and cannot find anything on the subject.

With that being said, what are the guys running the beadlocks thoughts? Pros and Cons?

I really want a set, but am worried what the risks are when highway driving?

Are you happy with your Slabs, Spyderlocks etc...and are you thinking about switching back to regular wheels at all? Any regrets?

Thanks all, in advance
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump to the top
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Laws say wheels must be DOT approved. Most beadlock wheels are not, they state competition use only.

Biggest concern is bolts backing out, so need to check torque on regular intervals.

I'm running Raceline Monsters and LOVE them! Jeep is not a DD though, but no issues w bolts coming loose even after hard wheelin'
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running AEV beadlocks and love them. I won't be going back to regular wheels anytime soon. Some beadlocks have now been approved and come with the DOT stamp inside the wheel. My beadlocks have the stamp and that was one of the reasons I went with their wheels over some of the other companies.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else have input? Thanks all who have posted, much appreciated
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scacre
Laws say wheels must be DOT approved. Most beadlock wheels are not, they state competition use only.

Biggest concern is bolts backing out, so need to check torque on regular intervals.

I'm running Raceline Monsters and LOVE them! Jeep is not a DD though, but no issues w bolts coming loose even after hard wheelin'
Exactly. You are dealing with federal DOT regulations, not state. They have to be DOT approved to use on the highway, just like headlights, tires, etc. Some are DOT approved but most are not. If a company's wheels are DOT approved, it will be well advertised on their website and in their adds as it's a big selling point.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running Hutchinson Rock Monsters. They are DOT approved and worth every penny.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 11REDJK
With that being said, what are the guys running the beadlocks thoughts? Pros and Cons?

I really want a set, but am worried what the risks are when highway driving?

Are you happy with your Slabs, Spyderlocks etc...and are you thinking about switching back to regular wheels at all? Any regrets?
The only con is ensuring the lug nuts and bead lock bolts are tight. Naturally, you'll check the lug nuts with regular wheels anyway. Well, I guess another con is the price... as typically bead lock wheels come at a premium.

There are no additional risks when driving on the highway.

I am very happy with my Walker Evans bead locks and would never consider switching to regular wheels.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scacre
Originally Posted by Wandell
Exactly. You are dealing with federal DOT regulations, not state. They have to be DOT approved to use on the highway, just like headlights, tires, etc. Some are DOT approved but most are not. If a company's wheels are DOT approved, it will be well advertised on their website and in their adds as it's a big selling point.
Not entirely...

hxxp://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive ran beadlocks for years.. on my DD never a problem.. spyderlocks and racelines.

Quick Reply: Beadlocks