Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good...gotta dump my current wheels/tires first. Thanks for the 411.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned three sets of Walker Evans Beadlocks (and one set of streetlocks).
I currently own Raceline beadlocks.

Most true beadlocks are not DOT certified. This is because of the old days when beadlocks were welded steel rims and often leaked.

Good quality beadlocks today are aluminum and the best quality rims are cold forged (Walker Evans rims + some others).

I would only buy a beadlock in a 17" rim size because of tires offered and the current trend towards this size rim. My friend runs the 20" spyder locks on his JKU, but he runs 40" Toyos.

I can tell you that the Walker Evans beadlocks balanced better than my current Raceline rims, and they were made better as well, but the racelines were offered in a wider rim than the Walkers were.

None of my rim sets have ever leaked and the Walkers never needed follow up after their first run. I've ground the edges off the bolts and was still able to remove and replace them using basic tools. Airing down to 8lbs usually won't require a beadlock if you run at least a 12.50 tire on an 8" rim. I run beadlocks becuase I do higher speed rock crawling and the tires would "burp" air as I went along. This no longer happens becuase of the beadlocks.

And in the snow you can air down to 4 or so without problems and gain far better traction.

I won't get in to other details between the Raceline and Walker Evans rims (remember that I have owned both). My Walkers with 37" Krawlers required zero weight on one of the rims! That is impressive quality for both the tire and the wheel...
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...so why did you make the switch from Walkers to Racelines? And by chance, do you have the Walkers for sale?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grognard

Beadlocks don't handle any different than a regular wheel, but they are illegal in many states for street use. One state near me will ticket even for fake beadlocks. (my state does not care).
Could you post the penal code on that? As far as I can find NOT ONE STATE has a "no beadlock" law in the books. Also could you show a copy of one of the supposed tickets? I've found sites advertising a $1000 reward for proof of a ticket.
If you cannot prove your statements about beadlocks please stop posting rumors about them. And before you start going "blah, blah, blah" about DOT approval go look at the rims on your car/jeep and tell me if they have a DOT stamp on them. Most factory and aftermarket don't.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Check out aev

I got the aev beadlocks they look good and balance nice no problems.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Default Staun

Don't forget about Staun internal beadlocks. They work on just about any wheel and they lock both inner and outer beads.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Good article

htt p://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wecf

Could you post the penal code on that? As far as I can find NOT ONE STATE has a "no beadlock" law in the books. Also could you show a copy of one of the supposed tickets? I've found sites advertising a $1000 reward for proof of a ticket.
If you cannot prove your statements about beadlocks please stop posting rumors about them. And before you start going "blah, blah, blah" about DOT approval go look at the rims on your car/jeep and tell me if they have a DOT stamp on them. Most factory and aftermarket don't.
Hawaii has a no beadlock law. DOT approved or not they will tow you vehicle on spot.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Berzerker

Hawaii has a no beadlock law. DOT approved or not they will tow you vehicle on spot.
Can you quote the vehicle code on that please? If not its just another rumor. Please, once again, don't spread rumor show us the vehicle code. All I ever hear is "it's illegal" but no one ever offers proof.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one state has laws against beadlock wheels. Companies like AEV just spent the money to have DOT put them through a series of rigorous test's to see if they would hold up to every day driving.

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #9C9673"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #B5AE7B"]"There are no performance or design requirements for rims covered under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 120. However, there are rim marking requirements in S5.2 and rim selection requirements in S5.3.2. Note that in S5.2, a reference is made to rims of multi-piece construction, and this implies that these multi-piece rims are allowed. The bead lock rim appears to be a multi-piece rim and there is nothing that I’m aware of that would prohibit them from being used for on-road vehicles. I have attached a copy of the standard. It may be that some State DOTs are regulating them.

Hope this helps some

Sincerely,
Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation"

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]