Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Racelines...just wish I had the $$ for them right now.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JaySC
Love the Racelines...just wish I had the $$ for them right now.
look around. I saw they had a buy three get onr free sale. should be about 1300 -1500 for 5
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wildandwillin

I can not even tell the diffrence. BUT..... with beadlocks come more maintenace. You will need to always check your bolt tightness after every offroad trip. Also you need to watch for damaged bolts. Never had a flat or a issue with my Racelines.
I haven't noticed a difference either. My Spyderlocks have recessed bolts (screws really), so I don't have to worry too much about them getting damaged. The only issue I've had was when I didn't fully retighten the RADS valve (rapid air down system) and had a flat the next morning.

I personally went with the 17" wheel because I was concerned with fitment issues for some aftermarket parts (i.e. tie rods, etc.). As far as backspacing is concerned, everybody says 4.5" or less (smaller number). I personally think 4.0" is a good compromise as you just never know what tires you'll end up running (width) and I don't like the idea of spacers. (Yes, there are plenty of folks who run spacers, they just aren't for me.)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I like the looks of the hutchson bead locks. That being said I have AEV pintlers with Nitto mud grapplers and have aired down to 8lbs. Had the tires wrapped around the front bumper and did not lose the bead. So weather it is the tire or just lucky I say you don't really need bead locks unless you do hard rock crawling for extended period of time. They are still on my radar though.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

If you really wanted a steal... SpyderLocks have discontinued their 20" beadlocks(I know) But for $175.00 might be worth looking at. If they have any of JK lug pattern left.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do beadlocks drive on-road? I've heard some nightmare stories about sudden flats, etc. from running beadlocks on a dd.
Beadlocks don't handle any different than a regular wheel, but they are illegal in many states for street use. One state near me will ticket even for fake beadlocks. (my state does not care).

They do have a higher risk of blow outs, which is probabloy due to lack of maintenance.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grognard
Beadlocks don't handle any different than a regular wheel, but they are illegal in many states for street use. One state near me will ticket even for fake beadlocks. (my state does not care). They do have a higher risk of blow outs, which is probabloy due to lack of maintenance.
Also make sure they are DOT approved some are not
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tapp
So should I go 16s? Since the 35s are cheaper
The problem i ran into with 16' wheels.
1. 35" tires tend to be heavy and hard on the stock brakes.
2. I wanted to get the teraflex big brake kit and they wont work with 16's
so it you want any real breaking power i suggest going with 17" wheels or larger.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
look around. I saw they had a buy three get onr free sale. should be about 1300 -1500 for 5
Where did you see this? I can't find anything.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Where did you see this? I can't find anything.
Talk to Jeepaddons-chris. He's usually got the smokin' deal on ATX Slabs. I can't guarantee that they're currently the "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal, but everyone who has bought from him says that its pretty great.

Quick Reply: Beadlocks