Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Methods or Slabs?
Slabs
66.67%
Methods
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Did you try driving with them before the balance? Seems some people didn't need a balance until after their first wheeling trip.

Keep us posted. I just got 2 of mine today. Other 3 coming tomorrow, and the Methods get here on Tuesday.
I did not. They took between 2 and 6 ounces per wheel. 2 were on the high end 2 around 4oz and 1 that was 2oz. I even lined the light spot (yellow dot) on the tire with the tpms and it still took weight there. I need to get my tie rod in before I do any driving on them. Tie rod is about to crap out.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When you mount them I found it can be really frustrating alone. If you do it solo don't lube the whole bead (outer lip that will be sandwiched) when you stretch it over the lip it wants to pop back off on the opposite side. Put it mostly on then the last few inches lube that so it slides down better. When placing the rim in the back side (insert giggles here) feel free to lube liberally. I scratched the crap out of mine doing it alone but you will never see it unless they are disassembled.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Bora Bora - how have they been in regards to balancing? Ok so far without having to do it? I'm planning to move my TPMS over. I've marked my tires from where the valve stem is on the old wheels, and planned on lining that up with the valve stem on the new wheels and hope for the best.

dumb question, but balance beads a worthwhile thought, or comical idea with 37s?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Bora Bora - how have they been in regards to balancing? Ok so far without having to do it? I'm planning to move my TPMS over. I've marked my tires from where the valve stem is on the old wheels, and planned on lining that up with the valve stem on the new wheels and hope for the best.

dumb question, but balance beads a worthwhile thought, or comical idea with 37s?
They’ve been great for me so far man. I’ve only put 300 miles on them since mounting, but so far I’m satisfied. Got them up to 70 with no shimmy. No balancing needed yet.

I’m going wheeling in 2 weeks, so I’ll finally have some scratches on them and I’ll be able to give you a better report (I usually aired down to 10 psi on my old 35’s so I plan on taking these methods down to 5-6 psi). Plus, I need to get rid of the mall crawler look too...they look too clean right now.

Yeah definitely line them up with the valve stems on your old tires. I think part of my success was that I lined the valve stems up with the red dots on the tires. I have balance beads sitting in the garage, since I’m a ‘buy once cry once’ kinda guy, and I don’t think I’ll need them. Honestly if they start to shimmy around 45-50 (where my old tires would) I doubt I’ll balance them; I never drive 45-50. If I need them balanced I’ll probably try a normal road force sticky weight balance before resorting to the beads (I don’t want to deal with the strings attached, like clumping or waiting a few seconds for the bb’s to “find balance”).

So far so good though

Last edited by BoraBora; 05-15-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I can tell you......you only got half the fun mounting those brand new tires to your brand new wheels. Holy Crap, I've already thrown in the towel remove the old tires from old wheels. Will see if I can find a low rent tire shop that will remove those for $30-$40 .... cuz did not take long to realize that would be worth the money. 5 Tires loaded in wife's Armada for tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can tell you......you only got half the fun mounting those brand new tires to your brand new wheels. Holy Crap, I've already thrown in the towel remove the old tires from old wheels. Will see if I can find a low rent tire shop that will remove those for $30-$40 .... cuz did not take long to realize that would be worth the money. 5 Tires loaded in wife's Armada for tomorrow.
hahaha man, I watched my buddy try to break his Spyderlocks down (with 35’s) trying to mount his 37’s....so I get it. Granted every single one of his bolts were seized so he sent them off to a shop to have them drilled out and new inserts put in. Sometimes it’s worth just paying a shop to make your life easier.

That being said, mounting them on the Methods was fun (besides the learning curve).
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by BoraBora
That being said, mounting them on the Methods was fun (besides the learning curve).
$50 and 15 minutes of my time standing in a nice air conditioned office had those tires broken down off the old rims. Man, that was worth it.

In regards to mounting.....I was all set for a struggle and planned on doing the washer trick like you did. Popped the tire on the wheel....little jump pushed the rear bead over the wheel.....and the big shocker....about 4 quick prys with screwdriver around maybe 1/4 of the diameter and the bead fell right in place. Boom. Took 30 seconds max. LOL. Having 15 year old son help with all the bolts sped things up a bit and enabled me to get 4 tires back on the jeep last night.

Transferred the TPMS over as I'm one of the few that actually likes em. Thanks to Karls10jk bargain deal on a set of sensors, I was able to fix the one dead one I had in the process. Jumped on the interstate about 10pm last night, up to 75mph, no hint of a wobble that I could feel. Things seem pretty good with no balancing.

The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (05-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?