Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bead locks

Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
Yea I got a couple cans of professionally mixed paint (color match) with hardener from an auto paint supply store. And white primer. You have to paint yellow over white. Cost me about 75 in paint and primer. Could have powder coated for 100-125 but it wouldn't have matched and I wouldn't be able to touch it up. Now I can touch it up with color matched paint if I so choose. I actually got a scar while driving down the highway in one already. I'll go ahead and touch that one up to keep it from spreading. Northridge 4x4
I'll probably leave mine as is. If I do paint I'll take your advice on using color matched paint. Thanks. Again...I think yours looks great!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Dan Mick just posted a shot of his refreshed Racelines bead locks on FB. He had them cleaned, powdered silver, then clear over that. Really look great.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walked into Discount Tire with the beadlocks on the Jeep already, walked out with them balanced for $40. No more shaking at 45 mph and up. Now my alignment is a different issue. hahaha
Old 01-15-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOELESS
ATX Slabs and a good work stool. Air ratchet to seat them and then 3 times around with the Snap On digital torque wrench. Easier than you think, just a little time consuming....
I personally would never recommend ANYBODY to use an air ratchet on any beadlocks. The risk of cross threading and stripping the threads on the wheels highly out weighs the little time you save. Just do it the right way by hand and use some anti-seize and you'll be golden.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bryanluu
I personally would never recommend ANYBODY to use an air ratchet on any beadlocks. The risk of cross threading and stripping the threads on the wheels highly out weighs the little time you save. Just do it the right way by hand and use some anti-seize and you'll be golden.
exactly how I did mine. Hand tighten with the 1/2 socket and extension, then got them a little snug with a ratchet, and finally torqued. I had anti-seize all over my hands by time i was done
Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
exactly how I did mine. Hand tighten with the 1/2 socket and extension, then got them a little snug with a ratchet, and finally torqued. I had anti-seize all over my hands by time i was done
Check with the mfg before you start lathering things up in anti seize, some require they get installed dry.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HDGasser
Check with the mfg before you start lathering things up in anti seize, some require they get installed dry.
Talked to them before I did anything. They also have a video on youtube that mentions anti-sieze.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bryanluu
I did not say tighten them with an air ratchet just run the down. Watch the video of Mel @ ORE installing the lock rings on a Slab. I'm pretty sure he has done it a few times......
Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHOELESS
I did not say tighten them with an air ratchet just run the down. Watch the video of Mel @ ORE installing the lock rings on a Slab. I'm pretty sure he has done it a few times......
I know that is what you meant. It only takes a few full turns to properly torque a bolt on a beadlocks rings. How many RPMs does an air ratchet spin at? Enough to accidentally strip or over tighten your bolts. It's not up to me to tell you how to mount tires on beadlocks, I'm just trying to save someone's wheel from getting ruined.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess you can say mine were broken in a bit today. Had them aired down to 6 psi without any issues. I will go down to 5 next weekend and probably stay there.

Time to grab the spray paint

Quick Reply: Bead locks