Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bead lock wheels not balancing well with 35's any advice?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beads are small diameter hard ceramic for balancing semi tractor tires. It does feel like they're clumping and throwing my tires out of balance at odd times but I have no idea why.
Inside of tires are clean and dry, sprayed them with denatured alcohol and wiped them all out the day before mounting. Beads went in dry and roll freely in all 5 tires.
Small amount of simple green was used to seal the backside of the tire so it would pop onto the inside bead. I doubt much if any got inside the tires. should just dry out if it did.

Found a small independent tire shop near my house that will balance them for $10 each.
Now I just gotta try get all the beads out. Hoping I can unseat the bead from the backside of the rim and suck them out with a 1/2" tube attached to my shop vac.
They went in that way so hoping they'll come back out.

I'm a little hesitant to try and adding more beads or any other product at this point. Antifreeze is a new one, never heard that before.
Got a big motorcycle desert race coming up in a couple weeks and need to drive over the mountains to get here towing a trailer full of bikes. 3-4 hours each way.
Still snowing on the mountain passes here too so I have to get these things balanced before we leave.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep at it and let you how it turns out.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LOST
I'm a little hesitant to try and adding more beads or any other product at this point. Antifreeze is a new one, never heard that before.
If I were you, I'd try adding before going another route. It's the easiest and least expensive solution to your problem and worse case, you wasted $ on the anti-freeze or additional beads (my guess... less than 10).

You may also want to search for the guide PLANMAN wrote on diagnosing death wobble. A couple hours of your time might prove out something, might not.

Quick Reply: Bead lock wheels not balancing well with 35's any advice?