Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BDS 3" lift

Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BDS 3" lift

I am looking at buying BDS (used to be Black Diamond) 3" coil lift for a 2008 2 door X. I had seen in an older article (Feb 2008) of 4x4GARAGE magazine that it ranked better than all the rest. Looking for any Pros or Cons on this lift. Any info would be great.
Thanks

Correction
I see that BDS and Black Diamond are different. Any thoughts on the two of them in a 3" cioll lift or any other brand sugestions?

Last edited by jdhanson; 03-10-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

first off, bds did not used to be black diamond. black diamond is a subdivision of superlift. regarding the lift, is this is the one that is essentially a set of coils and shocks, it's a good starter kit but that's about it. i don't know how anyone could seriously rank it so highly being that it doesn't come with at the very least, an adjustable front track bar. also, while it does come with cam bolts to help you add caster, they are a cheap solution and i wouldn't recommend them. the better answer would be to get a set of adjustable front lower control arms. needless to say, if you go this route, you really should add these to your shopping list.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
HGF
JK Newbie

I was looking at Black Diamond, right now im on a very tight budget I figure I'll add control arms later, unless i decide i want 37s in which case i would go to a 4.5'' long arm...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

I was mis informed on these two lifts. I was told they were the same brand. I see they are not. Well with that being said the Black Diamond is the one that the magazine picked as best. However I think the BDS looks liek a nice lift as well. Any more thoughts?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

I have the BDS 3" on my 08. I got a little over 4" out of it. WOL is right, it is a beginner lift (no control arms), but BDS does offer them on their website. I got it because of the price, waranty, and because I can upgrade it in the future. As suggested by WOL on, I did not install the cam bolts.

WOL, it comes with springs, shocks, rear track bar drop bracket, and the BDS ultimate discos - just the basics. This is my first Jeep, so I am learning as I go, but would buy the same lift if I had it to do over again. I did upgrade to the gas shocks, but still paid under $800 for everything (it was 15% off when I bought it at OK4WD).

Being that this is my 1st Jeep - the next Jeep I build (when my 13 year old son is old enough to drive, and takes this one) - will have an EVO lever front and rear! Just one more reason I love this site - chances are that without it, I would have never seen, nor heard about the EVO setup.

Most of the wheeling I do does not involve rock crawling like they have out west, so it suits my needs. My JK is also my daily driver, and the ride is better than stock, so I am happy with it all around.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

JD

Last edited by jd1066; 03-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Black Diamond

I have the Black Diamond lift and I've been very happy with it and with Superlift. I haven't really looked at BDS so I'll only comment on Black Diamond. It's a basic 3" lift that comes with everything you need but skip the Cam bolts. It does come with a Front adjustable track bar. One thing to note is that the lift that won all the Kudos wasn't the basic lift. It had the Billstein shocks and Adjustable control arms installed. Superlift calls them Rockrunner swivel links.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
HGF
JK Newbie

Did you go with the superlift front lower arms? i'm thinking OME long travel shocks as well
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot for all the info.
J.D.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

sent you a PM
Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HGF
Did you go with the superlift front lower arms? i'm thinking OME long travel shocks as well
Yes, I went with the Superlift ones. I liked how they are "dog Legged" or whatever it's called. Superlift / Black Diamond are warranted for as long as you own it.

Quick Reply: BDS 3" lift