Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BDO front bumper for JK? (Big Daddy Offroad)

Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It helps to have extra lights if you need to load something big on the game basket, as it will block the headlights.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dang - lots of talk about the front reciever (which I still find a little odd... but as a license plate mount it might work fine for me )

Anyhow - did some more searching last night - can't find anyone posting about running one of them or pics on an actual vehicle...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it and the price sounds very reasonable.
I like the utility of the receiver on the front.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to mount the surf rod rack....
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bwiencek
Dang - lots of talk about the front reciever (which I still find a little odd... but as a license plate mount it might work fine for me )

Anyhow - did some more searching last night - can't find anyone posting about running one of them or pics on an actual vehicle...
no kidding! I guess it opened my eyes to why people want them.

I believe this a new bumper right?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mikey's Rubi
The front reciever is a good idea to recover yourself...not to recover someone else. You should never pull someone out in reverse...it will strain your gears as they are not meant for that...that mate together to move your forward. Many people put shackles on the front as one extra recovery point. They will also mount a portable winch to it if they don't want to have a winch on there all of the time. The problem with that is you have to really rely on the reciever pin holding up to the power of your winch This bumper seems to be tough though with the option of either winch set up...nicely done.
How would this strain your gears?

Reverse gears are straight cut and forward gears are helical (cut on an angle). Straight cut gears can handle higher loads. That's why F1 cars and other high performance transmissions use straight cut for forward gears. Noisy but strong.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BradOB
How would this strain your gears?

Reverse gears are straight cut and forward gears are helical (cut on an angle). Straight cut gears can handle higher loads. That's why F1 cars and other high performance transmissions use straight cut for forward gears. Noisy but strong.
Not necessarily transmission - more of the R&P - you're on the 'coast' face of the gear which is known to be weaker.

Also - reverse usually has a lower numerically/ higher ratio than 1st - so you don't get the pulling advantage of 1st gear being a lower geared setup.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigEarl
We put the game basket on the front of the CJ all the time for hauling deer/hogs. It drags less when going through low spots.
Originally Posted by putnam dan
I'd go with game basket - it's a perfect place for it.
This would be the main reason I would get it. Then you can still open your tailgate!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bwiencek
Not necessarily transmission - more of the R&P - you're on the 'coast' face of the gear which is known to be weaker.

Also - reverse usually has a lower numerically/ higher ratio than 1st - so you don't get the pulling advantage of 1st gear being a lower geared setup.

I beg to differ. Most reverse gears are a lower gearing than 1st gear!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

First, I'm glad you ran across it because now I'm interested. But you have to get it and post pictures for me...

I have a friend that runs a BDO front bumper on his TJ, but I think he got it because it was cheap, no other reason. It was like $100 or so, just a plain beam across the front.

Jeff

Quick Reply: BDO front bumper for JK? (Big Daddy Offroad)