Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BB on top of coils... some questions...

Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB on top of coils... some questions...

I just got a TF 2.5'' coil kit with TF shocks...

I have been seeing that people are some time putting Pucks in ontop of the coils to get the extra 2'' or 2.5'' or whatever...

Do they need to change the shocks to longer shocks for this?? or change the bump stops ?? (I have the extensions that come with the TF kit)

Also What about drive line angles... is this going to put them way too high or does the Pucks not matter so much ?? it is a 2009 Auto Rubicon Unlimited.

What about ride quality ? is a 2.5'' coil lift with 2'' pucks going to be a sloppy ? or is it not going to change the ride at all ??

Going up to that height, trackbars are going to be needed and likely adjustable control arms right ??

I realize I am not going to get the flex that I would with a full 6inch kit or 4'' coil kit or something but it would be much better then stock off road wise (and could prob clear 37's)
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joey2times
I just got a TF 2.5'' coil kit with TF shocks...

I have been seeing that people are some time putting Pucks in ontop of the coils to get the extra 2'' or 2.5'' or whatever...

Do they need to change the shocks to longer shocks for this?? or change the bump stops ?? (I have the extensions that come with the TF kit)

Also What about drive line angles... is this going to put them way too high or does the Pucks not matter so much ?? it is a 2009 Auto Rubicon Unlimited.

What about ride quality ? is a 2.5'' coil lift with 2'' pucks going to be a sloppy ? or is it not going to change the ride at all ??

Going up to that height, trackbars are going to be needed and likely adjustable control arms right ??

I realize I am not going to get the flex that I would with a full 6inch kit or 4'' coil kit or something but it would be much better then stock off road wise (and could prob clear 37's)
If I'm reading correctly are you trying to achieve a total of 4.5+" of lift? If so then yes you will need items such as adjustable trackbars, new front CV driveshaft, longer shocks if you want more flex, new brakelines or extension brackets..... the list goes on........

My opinion is if you want that type of lift height and the ability to run 37's then you might want to consider buying a kit designed for that height. Just my $.02
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

well its really just for a down the line approach... as in... I am putting in my 2.5'' lift on the 16th...

if a year from now I say, hey I want bigger then 35's and I want more lift... could I slap pucks in there, and (extend break lines and small stuff) and have an extra 2 inches on the lift kinda in a cheap way...

I guess the real question was will adding pucks put more work on the DS going... or is it like a body lift where it doesnt affect teh DS at all....

Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I was thinking along the same lines, once you go above 3" of lift tho new control arms and drive shafts are gonna be needed. I was looking at adding maybe a 1/2" or 3/4" spacer on top of my 2.5 coil lift you might be able to get away with this little increase in height but anything over that is gonna need new parts.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joey2times
well its really just for a down the line approach... as in... I am putting in my 2.5'' lift on the 16th...

if a year from now I say, hey I want bigger then 35's and I want more lift... could I slap pucks in there, and (extend break lines and small stuff) and have an extra 2 inches on the lift kinda in a cheap way...

I guess the real question was will adding pucks put more work on the DS going... or is it like a body lift where it doesnt affect teh DS at all....

Thanks
Just keep in mind... for down the road, once you start adding bumpers/winch/etc. you might have to add coil spacers just to get back to having 2.5" of lift.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

or you could use your 2.5" lift and a BL or hi clearance flares..

Im running 2.5" front and a 1" spacer to make up for my winch/bumper weight. I dont think it effects the front DS because the fully extended length is the same because the shock limits it.

Quick Reply: BB on top of coils... some questions...