Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BB install

Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB install

I have read the write up on installing a Budget boost lift. My is has anyone done without jackstands? I have a floor jack for the axle lowering but wondering if I could use the jack that came with the Jeep for lifting the Jeep?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

you need to hold up the entire front(or rear) of the jeep at one time. jackstands are the easiest way to go about this. once the front(or rear) is up you need to lower the axle in order to get the springs to droop.

i wouldnt rely on the stock sizzor jack to hold up half of the jeep while i am trying to pry out or stuff back in the springs.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Dude jackstands only cost like 20 bucks at walmart. Isn't your safety worth at least twenty bucks?

Bryan
Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Dunes is right,Your life is worth a few extra bucks, I was nervous using 4 jackstands, you can get away with two, make sure you chock the wheels. be safe
Old 05-04-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I agree safety is a bigger factor. It isn't the money for the jackstands. I just don't know if I will ever use them again. But I will be buying them before I do the install. I hope it is as easy as it looks to do.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sting
Thanks for the input. I agree safety is a bigger factor. It isn't the money for the jackstands. I just don't know if I will ever use them again. But I will be buying them before I do the install. I hope it is as easy as it looks to do.

you will use them again,,, or just goi and borrow some,,i dont see how to doi without the stands

dont forget to stuff your tires under the jeep for safety
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luisjg
you will use them again,,, or just goi and borrow some,,i dont see how to doi without the stands

dont forget to stuff your tires under the jeep for safety
Actually, spend 25-30 bucks at Harbor Freight or Sears and get the 6 ton stands. It is not the 6 tons you need to worry about but the fact that they adjust to 24". Once you get lifted and bigger tires the 3 ton ones are too short.

Also, it is a good safety tip to stuff your tires under you jeep. It is better to be 10" thick than dead.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Actually, spend 25-30 bucks at Harbor Freight or Sears and get the 6 ton stands. It is not the 6 tons you need to worry about but the fact that they adjust to 24". Once you get lifted and bigger tires the 3 ton ones are too short.

Also, it is a good safety tip to stuff your tires under you jeep. It is better to be 10" thick than dead.
Exactly! You really want the tallest jack stands you can get your hands on and the harbor freight 6-ton stands are cheap and perfect for working on your Jeep.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually just got done installing a Teraflex BB kit. You will need the jackstands.

The only complaint I have about the kit are the instructions (they suck).

Definitely get jack stands, though, it's a must.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

I admit that I install the BB's with only an 8-ton floor jack. I disconnect the shocks and sway bar links only and leave the track bars attached. On the front axle, make sure to do the driver's side first. A 2x4", a pickle fork, and/or a prybar will be your best friends, especially if you are not using spring compressors.

Quick Reply: BB install