Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Battery Side Terminals

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Side Terminals

So I decided to take advantage of the side terminals on my Optima Yellow Top. I get that you can only wire the starer there, but could someone please post a photo of how they did it. I can't seem to find any real instruction on what wires to put there, and I don't want to overload the side terminal.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got wiring with my dual battery going to the side posts without issue. Go pick up the bolts from the auto parts store and get to it. I've not seen any cautions about limiting use of the side posts.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the sides work just like the top posts. just use the right terminals and hook up whatever you want.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

well then of i go, i could have sworn i read something about limiting the use on the side terminals.
Thanks guys
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Side terminals

The side post are not for heavy loads such as winch. A friend in the club smoked his by using the side post for winching. Light electrical loads are OK.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically, the top posts of a battery are a direct part of the plate cell connector. The side posts are then wired separately. The side posts are designed for the relatively short draw of a starter, but not continuous high draw from something like a winch.

Optima specifically states not to connect a winch to the side terminals in their FAQ.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am not trying to connect the winch, but did wire the cb, 2 led (rigid d2's) to the side. thoughts?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by junoh
i am not trying to connect the winch, but did wire the cb, 2 led (rigid d2's) to the side. thoughts?
thats not enough draw to make any difference. hell you can run those on an rc car battery pack lol.

Quick Reply: Battery Side Terminals