Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Battery - ever heard of this one?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Can someone tell me why you would want a deep cell battery for automotive applications?

Both car batteries and deep cycle batteries are lead-acid batteries that use exactly the same chemistry for their operation. The difference is in the way that the batteries optimize their design:
A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.
A car battery typically has two ratings:
CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts
Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

Deep Cycle batteries are fine for our jeeps as starting batteries as long as they have at least 600 cranking amps or so. The deep cycle I have is a northstar. It puts out I think 930 CCA. One reason I have a deep cycle is that my alternator does not put the same amount of juice in the battery as my winch takes out. I could easily run my battery down to 25% on a long pull and not worry about harming the battery.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bad thing about using a deep cycle battery in a vehicle is that your alternator will recharge it too fast after you've drained it a lot (winching).

Deep cycle batteries risk being ruined if you charge then too fast. They should be recharged with a charger that's designed to recharge deep cycle batteries.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by benATX
The bad thing about using a deep cycle battery in a vehicle is that your alternator will recharge it too fast after you've drained it a lot (winching). Deep cycle batteries risk being ruined if you charge then too fast. They should be recharged with a charger that's designed to recharge deep cycle batteries.
This may be true if you are using a optima battery or cheap walmart deep cycle. There are many different types of batteries used in high load applications on vehicles and do just fine. For example, exide, deka, odyssey, energizer, Duracell, xs power, northstar, rebadged batteries made by odyssey and deka.
I've seen batteries drop to 10.8 volts and charge back up to 14.8 within a matter of 30-45 seconds. These batteries still hold 12.6-12.7 after 4.5 years of abuse.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by renegade4x4
Deep Cycle batteries are fine for our jeeps as starting batteries as long as they have at least 600 cranking amps or so. The deep cycle I have is a northstar. It puts out I think 930 CCA. One reason I have a deep cycle is that my alternator does not put the same amount of juice in the battery as my winch takes out. I could easily run my battery down to 25% on a long pull and not worry about harming the battery.
Exactly. Although I run 3 northstars in my jeep, there are others that can take the stress of a winch. Most batteries have a max amp rating. As long as you aren't pinging on that max rated or close to it over and over, you'll be fine. Northstars have a 4 year warranty and it doesn't matter what you've put them through they will warranty them. I think a lot of people were on the optima bandwagon for a long time. They are just not the batteries they used to be. Even then, they don't compare to what's out now. I'm not saying they are bad batteries, all I'm saying is, for the money a better battery can be had. Higher cca, better reserve, and very low internal resistance are some of the things the newer batteries have. I believe xs power and northstar ( northstar takes the cake on this one) have the lowest internal resistance in the industry. Low internal resistance helps the battery to bounce back faster and recharge back up to normal operating voltages quicker.

Quick Reply: Battery - ever heard of this one?