Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Batteries what type to use for winching

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of caution..if you go with the optima, don't use the side posts for the winch hook ups. They will melt with a long winch pull.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So get a dual battery setup!
Red top for starting
Yellow top for winching and aux

Isolator to charge both!

Voila, greater starting capability and deep cycle action for all your needs.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atticka
So get a dual battery setup!
Red top for starting
Yellow top for winching and aux

Isolator to charge both!

Voila, greater starting capability and deep cycle action for all your needs.
I was under the impression you should not mix batteries like that.... Once the voltage on the primary battery is good and the isolator closes, the two batteries will be in parallel. So now you have two batteries in parallel taht have slightly different resistances/impediances. Current will take the path of least resistance and you'll get uneven current through the different batteries. I thought I even read that your batteries should be similarly aged aka don't have an old, almost dead optima paired with a brand new optima.

Or at least that was the excuse I told the wife so I could get 2 yellow tops!!!

EDIT: Just checking my own reasoning, found this on the Optima website in the FAQ section. See the second to last question
optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#

Last edited by FlameRed; 02-02-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Default car audio

speaking from Car Audio Experience. the red top once you drain them all the way will keep dieing in a faster time each time you recharge them. the yellows will charge normal and drain the same everytime. the reds are great if your looking for a good stock replacement and not looking to put a large load on them. BUT if your looking for a battery that will take the abuse and will recharge to it's fullest potential you dont want the red top. yes the yellow has a lower Cold Cranking Amp. but it will take more abuse than the red.

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I will agree with an Optime, however we could have a debate about this. I agree the yellow top is a true deep cycle battery but if you look at the performance data, you will clearly see the Yellow Top, (34/25) has 620 CCA's, 770 CA@32*, a res capicity of 120 amps and a C/20 rate of 55, whereas the Red Top 34/78, has 800 CCA's, 1000CA@32*, res. capicity of 100, and a C/20 of 50.
Not all that different, except for the CCA's and CA's, which is where most of us need the boost as we use it mostly as a starting battery. (Don't know where you're getting the info about the 100% vice the 75%?)
With that said, I will speak of personal experience. I bought an Optima RT/34/78, for my 94XJ back in 96. Back then I did alot of wheeling. I'll not bore you with the few circimstances in which I used it one night after a wheeling adventure to not only winch a guy, but also used it to power headlights and 4 IPF aux lights while we changed his water pump, all the while listining to music provided from my stereo system pumped out by 2 500W amps, starting the XJ and letting it run for a few minutes of course. The next moring the XJ started right up and that battery lasted until late 2004. There were many other winchings and alot of stereo with the XK engine off on that battery.
It was still OK but for the winters here in Pa I wanted a new one. Another RT/34/78 in Sept 04, and although not much winching on that battery I did leave the lights on all day in early 05. A jump was needed as the battery would not even sound my buzzer with the door open and key in, let alone power the dome light. After the jump I drove about 45 minutes and the battery was as good as new. Well maybe. Another FU with the headlights on my part just last November, this time for 12 hours, and another jump. After driving home the 7 miles, I parked in the driveway, and after about 30 minutes went out and the XJ started right up. I've had no problems starting this winter even in temps of 11*.
I will also say that back in 96 when the Optimas became avail here in the US many XJ'rs were getting the YT and even the Blues, however many also went back to the Red's as they were only getting 3-5 years on the others.
Don't get me wrong, the YT and Blues are great batteries, but yet if they are manily used as a starting battery, that is to say they are not really being deep cycled, they will not last like the Red's.
For hard core wheelers that use the heck out of a winch many times over, the YT is the Optima to get, however if you are only deep cycling a few time each year, the RT will suit your need, plus give you the x-tra CCA for starting in the winter when you need it.
Not saying the posters here are doing this, but I will say I've talked to many wheel'rs who bragged up their YT, and when I asked how many times they've deep cycled the thing I get the 1000 yard stare. Some didn't even have winches and others had a few aux lights.
Just put'in the info out. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Go with the yellow top.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bump

Bump
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast