Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Batteries what type to use for winching

Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit of a task you're asking. Surely an Optima will be better than the stock battery, but you must remember that normally when you're winching you are most likely at an idle. Although a battery such as an Optima might help, at idle, your alternator is not at peak performance, whether you have a 140 amp or 160, so it is not only providing power to your electrical system components, but also providing power for your battery for charging. Perhaps next time you're winching, try upping your RPM's a bit. If you're winching with just the battery, there are very few batteries that can withstand the rigors of maintaining enough power for winching and also provide power needed for other components. It's all a matter of E/I/R.
The good thing about a super battery is that it will provide you with power above and beyond a stock battery and recharge more quickly and more times after a hard tasking. What size alternator do you currently have?
The wifes 07JK has a 160 amp, however I've heard that they've begun to put in 140's in later years.
As for the power windows, I would have to believe your headlights are not going dim while running, but if that is the case, it appears you're battery may be ready to give up the ghost, or your alternator/regulator is not working as designed. Have the electrical system checked out under load.
At any rate, an Optima for a replacement is a good choice.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual windows and locks dont have that problem

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
so can you pick one of these up at a local auto parts store, or do you have to order them? straight from Optima they are $215....

can anyone with one of these tell me if it stops the head lights from dimming every time you roll your windows up and down, haha... mine dims if i lock my doors or roll the windows up or down:(
Manual windows and locks don't have that problem
Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I was told 169 amp alternator for the JK

Originally Posted by Lorrel
That's a bit of a task you're asking. Surely an Optima will be better than the stock battery, but you must remember that normally when you're winching you are most likely at an idle. Although a battery such as an Optima might help, at idle, your alternator is not at peak performance, whether you have a 140 amp or 160, so it is not only providing power to your electrical system components, but also providing power for your battery for charging. Perhaps next time you're winching, try upping your RPM's a bit. If you're winching with just the battery, there are very few batteries that can withstand the rigors of maintaining enough power for winching and also provide power needed for other components. It's all a matter of E/I/R.
The good thing about a super battery is that it will provide you with power above and beyond a stock battery and recharge more quickly and more times after a hard tasking. What size alternator do you currently have?
The wifes 07JK has a 160 amp, however I've heard that they've begun to put in 140's in later years.
As for the power windows, I would have to believe your headlights are not going dim while running, but if that is the case, it appears you're battery may be ready to give up the ghost, or your alternator/regulator is not working as designed. Have the electrical system checked out under load.
At any rate, an Optima for a replacement is a good choice.
I was told for the JK wrangler it has a 169 amp alternator
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Optimas have gone in quality after they were bought out a few years back. Get a Die-Hard Platinum from Sears. they're a relabled Odyssey.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
Optimas have gone in quality after they were bought out a few years back. Get a Die-Hard Platinum from Sears. they're a relabled Odyssey.
Interstate makes a damn good battery as well, just make sure you get a megatron plus
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default optima are all good

i used an opttima in my dodge for plowing but have upgraded to a dual battery setup because i hate the lights dimming also. id go with the red top it worked great in my dodge with an 8.5 boss v plow and that must draw just as much juice as winch
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default The more info the better

The more info the better. Thanks for all the good info,and i cant wait for more.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
... Get a Die-Hard Platinum from Sears. they're a relabled Odyssey.
Originally Posted by nangulator
Interstate makes a damn good battery as well, just make sure you get a megatron plus
I expect those are both darned good batteries. When my stock battery goes, that's exactly what I would have done: I've been an Optima skeptic. However, after Moun10eer had his problems in Death Valley last year (read thread here), and it turned out to be the stock battery, he posted that the wrecker who rescued him said it was common: Most batteries cannot take the abuse of rough, dirt roads and fail pretty quickly. That makes me wonder if there isn't something in the Optima pedigree that puts it a notch above the Platinum Plus, Odyssey and Megatron for those of us who wheel on expedition/safari style trips (vice just rock crawling).
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hardcoreoffroad
I was told for the JK wrangler it has a 169 amp alternator
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/200...ited_spec.html
Note the diference between the 2007 and the 2009 alternator.
I'll add this is a very good site for most of the specs you are looking for.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry, The link above is for the 2007 JK only.
This is the link for the 2009 and above.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/index_reference.html
Again on this link note the diference between the 07 and 09 JK.

Quick Reply: Batteries what type to use for winching