Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bare steel options

Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare steel options

Hey guys.

I've got some Off Road Evolution sliders, a poison spyder rear bumper, and a poison spyder hood louver all coming in the mail within a week. All three of these awesome items are coming in bare steel. I know powdercoating or line-X is an option, but I'm more strongly considering DIY options. Would it be a good idea in the long run to bedline these? And if I do decide to bedline them, what prep work would I need to do before spraying them?

If I decide not to bedline, what steps should I take to paint them with spray paint in a can?

Sorry for the questions that probably have easy answers, but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I rattle caned my Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers on Friday and went to the Badlands on Sunday. Paint held up great. I used black under coating on the rails and a grey metallic on the inserts. Very happy with the results. On the rails I filed down a few spots and whipped the rest down with vinegar to remove the oil. As soon as that dries, don't wait very long like over night because they will rust quickly once the oil is off them, I primed them with black primer. The inserts I sanded with 280 grit sand paper used for metal. Primed them with a grey primer. Two coats of primer on the rails took two cans. Two plus coats of under coating took four cans. Inserts, two coats of primer took more than a can and three coats of paint took two cans. I like the under coating because the rail are not slippery.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Couple of pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1511781376.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	359070

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-238754802.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	359071
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

POR-15 is a great option. It is a brush on epoxy paint that is extreamly durable. It is very popular with the CJ guys.

If you choose to go with spray paint, be shure to use a self etching primer.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

So a self-etching primer, then the actual color spray I want on top of that?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snytribe
Man those look GOOD!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

We used flat blk rattle can with self etching primer on our EVO stuff, mostly because we know its going to see rocks and we will have to keep painting. so why pay for powder coat when you know your going to beat it off.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like mentioned above an epoxy paint is the way to go if you paint them. I found some epoxy spray cans at a speed shop here in st louis a few years ago. A lot of guys use it on roll cages. Not sure where you can find it other than that but I'm sure you can online. So if you want to paint; remove all oil and grime with brake parts cleaner, spray them with self etching primer, then rattle can them with epoxy or brush on POR15. This will give them the longest life without rust and chips. You will scrape some paint off on rocks but just retouch those spots as they come.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Ok thanks guys I think I got it now. I'll post some pictures of the finished products later on
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by echoshotz
Hey guys.

I've got some Off Road Evolution sliders, a poison spyder rear bumper, and a poison spyder hood louver all coming in the mail within a week. All three of these awesome items are coming in bare steel. I know powdercoating or line-X is an option, but I'm more strongly considering DIY options. Would it be a good idea in the long run to bedline these? And if I do decide to bedline them, what prep work would I need to do before spraying them?

If I decide not to bedline, what steps should I take to paint them with spray paint in a can?

Sorry for the questions that probably have easy answers, but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Since you live in the rust belt, I would prime them and paint them with a semi satin black. You can always touch it up very easily unlike a bed liner or por15.

Also, bed liner or por15 can trap moisture between the paint and steel

Quick Reply: Bare steel options